WinXP Install Disk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
G200Guy

WinXP Install Disk

Post by G200Guy »

Total Noob here. I have done a little searching but probably not enough...

I downloaded virtualbox and used the guided setup for the first VM. It created the VM and when I select start it initially wouldn't see the physical disk for the WinXP install. After I ejected and re-inserted it did launch the install.

All was well until I hit the point where it asks me to insert the physical disk to prove ownership prior to continuing the install. The disk is already in the DVD drive. I have tried ejecting/re-inserting to no avail. I also created an .ISO and tried to boot from that and that did not work. So then I tried to boot from the ISO but use the physical disk insertion to see if it would recognize it, but that also didn't work.

What am I missing on getting it to "see" the physical disk for installation purposes?

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: WinXP Install Disk

Post by scottgus1 »

G200Guy wrote:it asks me to insert the physical disk to prove ownership prior to continuing the install.
This makes me think you have an upgrade disk. Read the disc label carefully. If it is an upgrade version then you need a previous version of a compatible operating system disc to get this OS to install.

Also, be sure the guest's virtual CD drive is set to the host's physical CD drive before starting the guest.
G200Guy

Re: WinXP Install Disk

Post by G200Guy »

You are correct, I pulled the wrong disk and didn't see the holographic upgrade on it. Many thanks!