Unable to install on Windows 8.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cjn

Unable to install on Windows 8.1

Post by cjn »

Hi,

I'm unable to install VirtualBox 5.1.12-112440 on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I just get a warning about "Binding engine task queue handler" need to be closed for the installation (only occasionally, not every time), then the installation rolls back.

Searching through my event log I get the following:

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: MsiExec.exe, version: 5.0.9600.17905, time stamp: 0x557f547f
Faulting module name: NetCfgx.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17041, time stamp: 0x5318133f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
I've also tried VirtualBox 5.1.10 and 5.0.30, with the same error. I've tried running the installation normally and as administrator, and with/without the various package options.

My laptop is:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise, 64-bit
Lenovo T440 (Intel Core i5)

I've had VirtualBox 4 and 5.0 running fine on previous installations (Windows 7) on the same laptop.

What can I do to debug the installation error and find why it isn't installing? It is a corporate laptop, maybe it is hitting some security restriction perhaps?

Thanks,

Chris
BelJoost

Re: Unable to install on Windows 8.1

Post by BelJoost »

cjn wrote:"Binding engine task queue handler"
I'd search Google on that string. Gave me lot of links related to Hyper-V. Even links to this site.

Let us know if disabling Hyper-V solved your issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Install issues:
First, to install Virtualbox properly you must right-click the Virtualbox installer program and choose "Run As Administrator" from the right-click menu, even if your account is an administrator account. You report:
running the installation normally and as administrator
If this means the last install was attempted via the right-click Run As Admin then that's the correct way.

Next, the Virtualbox installer is actually a Microsoft program, which uses the host's "MSI" system. If errors happen in the installation process, you can enable Microsoft's MSI logging and try the installer again (google how to enable MSI logging). If an error occurs, post the MSI log here and on a Microsoft forum. Someone should be able to tell you what the problem is.
cjn

Post by cjn »

Hi, i forgot to mention I'd already googled that warning and checked my laptop doesn't have any Hyper-V components installed.

Thanks for the tip about Msi Logging - I've done this and the log file is attached (zipped).

Thanks,

Chris
Attachments
MSI77d4b.zip
(158.08 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
BobMcAlone

Post by BobMcAlone »

Did you find an answer to this problem?
I'm having the same issue with Win8.1 on a Lenovo T450
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, cjn, forgot about this one.
I am not skilled in reading the log myself, but it seems that when the log starts talking about "rollback" the error over which the install fails is within the previous few lines.

Searching for "rollback" fins these lines:

Action 16:33:06: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Rollback: ca_InstallNetLwf
Scolling back a few lines finds this:

CustomAction ca_InstallNetLwf returned actual error code 1603
Scrolling back further finds the message in your first post about the "Binding Engine Task Queue Handler".

I suspect this is the Virtualbox network system. Windows 10 et al put out a new network system, NDIS6, which Virtualbox tries to use, and which has been seen as sometimes incompatible with Windows 7. Maybe it's incompatible with Windows 8/.1 too? Try running the installer in a Run-As-Admin command window, with this command line:

VirtualBox-x.x.x-yyyyy-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
You can drag the installer icon into the command window then type or copy the " -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5" (note the first space).
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'd also point out that MsiExec is the MSI Installer, a component of Windows. If that is crashing then surely it's Microsoft you should be asking for why. This doesn't look to me to be a VirtualBox problem at all.