USB Root Hub Shows Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager (#16338)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
WadeL

Re: USB Root Hub Shows Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager

Post by WadeL »

Correct on the not needing a VM running. If you leave Virtual Box running, even without an active VM, it will prevent the driver from unloading/reloading. You have to completely shutdown Virtual Box.
masa0021

Re: USB Root Hub Shows Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager

Post by masa0021 »

I encountered the same issue, but with VBox/Win7. I contacted the IT service of my company and the IT service seemed to get to following reply from HP wrt Thunderbolt Docking Stations:
USB plug&play is officially not supported
gawbul

Re: USB Root Hub Shows Yellow Exclamation Mark in Device Manager (#16338)

Post by gawbul »

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with TB16 Thunderbolt Dock and am experiencing the same issue. If I place my computer in sleep and remove from the dock with VirtualBox still running, when I come to connect the dock and wake from sleep the next day I have the issue with the USB Root Hub driver. If I kill all running VirtualBox process before putting my computer to sleep/disconnecting the dock, the issue doesn't occur.
demuze

Post by demuze »

Still getting the same issue, wondering if anyone found a fix?
WadeL

Post by WadeL »

The best solution I found is to put all running VMs to sleep then shutdown/restart the VirtualBox host. When you shut the host down it releases the USB resources.
tonyapuzzo

Post by tonyapuzzo »

I have exact same issue on Dell Precision 5520 Laptop and Dell TB16 Thunderbolt 3 docking station. If I connect USB devices to the host's USB bus, then everything works as expected but if connected through Thunderbolt I get the same problems as others:

I get the same yellow exclamation icon in device manager.
I get the same immediate resumption of functionality after suspending all virtualbox machines and exiting from virtualbox processes.

All firmware and drivers are up-to-date. I've tried with official Dell drivers as well as going direct to vendor drivers, neither make any difference as far as I can tell.

This problem was first identified ~2 years ago and still persists (virtualbox issue #16382). At least the workaround isn't too onerous.