VirtualBox 5.1.12 unattended installation fails - driver issue?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
moe

VirtualBox 5.1.12 unattended installation fails - driver issue?

Post by moe »

Hey,

So as the title states: VirtualBox 5.1.12 unattended installation fails. The unattended installation is done as a SCCM package. The installer is wrapped inside a batch-file so that it adds VBox's certification to Trusted Publishers if it's missing, and then installers the extracted 64-bit .msi of VirtualBox. All in all the batch looks like this:

Code: Select all

certutil -addstore "TrustedPublisher" oracle-vbox.cer
msiexec.exe /q ALLUSERS=2 /m MSIAWQBQ /i "VirtualBox-5.1.12-r112440-MultiArch_amd64.msi"
We have successfully used this method for years already, but now while doing a routine test for the 5.1.12 installation, the installation fails. SCCM's package installation-related logs only reveal "Script for Package:XXXX, Program: VM VirtualBox failed with exit code 1603" which more or less is a generic error, or a "fatal error", with no further explanation. The installation fails very quickly after the installation starts. The behavior hasn't been yet tested on different environments. The test environment is running on W8.1 with the latest Windows updates. 5.1.10 version of VBox was installed as an existing installation.

To analyze the issue, the batch was ran (with elevated rights, obviously) on a cmd as a silent installation showing the possible interactions. The following driver installation prompt was shown (image taken from web, but the driver installation prompt was the same):
After pressing Install, the installation finished successfully. If the VirtualBox was reinstalled (over, or after an uninstallation) as unattended, the installation still finished successfully.

My question is: is the "Oracle Corporation Universal Serial Bus ..." indeed behind this error? If so, how this can be prevented on an unattended installation?
bird
Oracle Corporation

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.12 unattended installation fails - driver issue?

Post by bird »

The drivers in 5.1.12 are signed using different certificates. (The previous certificates expires in a few days.)
- bird
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I glanced yesterday ever so briefly over the source code changes between 5.1.10 and 5.1.12 and I distinctly remember that the "oracle-vbox.cer" file was missing from the distribution (/src/VBox/Additions/WINNT/tools/oracle-vbox.cer). Maybe because it will expire in 2 days on 2016-12-23? I also remember seeing that there were changes in the certificates handling.

I don't know how that translates to the unattended installation, but you should post a message/note to the Discuss the 5.1.12 release thread and point it here. The developers are more likely to monitor that thread.

If I find anything more interesting I'll let you know...
 Edit: And while I was editing my message, 'bird' was kind enough to explain it. At least I was on the right path... ;) 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
moe

Post by moe »

bird wrote:The drivers in 5.1.12 are signed using different certificates. (The previous certificates expires in a few days.)
- bird
Thanks! That could not have been any faster. With the more recent certificates everything is working again. I indeed had an invisible string tied around my finger for 23th of December, 2016. Although I thought they were already long gone along the version updates, being this close to that date made me suspicious :)

Also thanks to socratis for pointing out the more relevant thread. I wasn't aware of such.

All the best.
Gail_Baxter

Post by Gail_Baxter »

Hello i know it's an old thread but, i have the same problem here with the virtualbox 6.1
I don't know where can i find the oracle certificates to bypass the question about the bus controller.
Despite my research i don't know where can i found them and i need to create a package for sccm.