XP Pro installation ends with blue screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
g.fengler@online.de

XP Pro installation ends with blue screen

Post by g.fengler@online.de »

VB: 5.1.10r112026(Qt5.6.2)
VB Hardening log: see attached file
Blue Screen: see attached ScreenShot
AV: ESET Smart Security 9.0.408.1

When installing XP Pro 1 - 2CPU, installation process ends with blue screen.
BlueScreen ScreenShot
BlueScreen ScreenShot
SPC VTB_ Virtual Box - XP Pro Installation - Blue Screen_ (2016-12-19).png (19.57 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Any advice will be appreciated

Regards
gf
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: XP Pro installation ends with blue screen

Post by mpack »

You didn't attach the hardening log, which is probably a good thing since you clearly don't have a hardening problem. Please provide the normal VM log: with the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Are you seriously still using Vista home premium as your host? Nothing wrong with that, I just so rarely see it (people are either still on the excellent XP, or they've upgraded to Win7 at least).

I don't read German, hence I'm afraid that screenshot is not very useful to me, nor can Google translate images. all I can tell is that you got stopcode 0x6F. Please tell me what the text says.

Also, please identify the XP guest more accurately, e.g. I'm not familiar with any version of XP called "XP Pro 1". If the "1" means SP1 then I would expect it to be buggy. You really need SP2 at least, SP3 would be best.

Also tell me where this XP image came from, i.e. did you install it yourself in VirtualBox from a setup CD, or was the image copied from elsewhere.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Did a google on "XP session3_initialization_failed" and, based on this:
g.fengler@online.de wrote:When installing XP...installation process ends with blue screen

I found this:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 60698.html
bindudhindsa wrote:problem i got was in installation cd, It had few scratches on it...I borrowed my friends disc and it came back with no error.
FWIW if the same error occurs on an installed and previously-running XP, this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... a4f7273c0f
indicates possible missing system files:
A.User wrote:There are at least four possibilities (that I know of) for these missing files that result in the
SESSION3 or SESSION5 type message:

Windows\System32\smss.exe <-------- most likely, so replace this one first
Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
Windows\System32\drivers\ftdisk.sys
Windows\System32\winlogon.exe
g.fengler@online.de

Hi mpack,

first of all many thanks for trying to solve my problem.

1. Tried to attach hardening log, but it was not possible - don´t know the reason. But as I learned now it was probably a good thing.
Didn´t understand what you meant by "Right click in GUI ... show log..." So I saved VBox-log from the VB GUI and then zipped it. Hope it will upload now as it should do.

2. Yes, I´m still using Vista but intend to switch to WIN10 in a few month. Intend also then to run XP as VM that´s why I try it here.

3. As for the bluescreen text in German: it´s the usual text appearing with bluescreens
"....when you see this ...for the first time....restart.... If ... shown again .... following steps:
- ensure that new hard-/software is correctly installed
- if problems continue deinstall newly installed hard-/software.
- deactivate BIOS-preferences like caching or shadowing
- restart Computer ... press F8 ... need safe configuration ...."

4. XP-guest: "XP Pro 1 - 2CPU" is only the header on the Product Key Label. Service Pack is SP 3.

5. Yes, I installed it myself from a setup CD (installed it the first time from a brandnew disc - OEM version [HP], which I bought recently from a software dealer as an opportunity)
Attachments
SPC VTB_ Log-Datei XP-Installtion ends with bluescreen - XP Pro-2016-12-20-03-34-25.zip
log file
(13.5 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

g.fengler@online.de wrote:a setup CD (installed it the first time from a brandnew disc - OEM version [HP]
That may be the source of your problems. OEM versions are exactly that; tailored so that they install on the OEM systems, only. Your VM is obviously not made by any OEM so it might have problems installing. But, you have the following in your log:
00:01:11.346632 Host RAM: 1021MB total, 115MB available
You have 115 MB available when you launch the VM. That's barely enough to launch even a DOS client (I'm exaggerating), but if you consider that you assign 192MB of RAM to your guest, plus 16 MB of vRAM, plus some overhead = way too much for your computer to handle.

Note that I've highlighted the total RAM on your host. That's way too low to run Vista plus a virtual machine. There's no way that this computer is going to be able to be upgraded to Windows 10. Two GB is the minimum for Windows 10. I'd suggest increasing the host's memory to at least 4 GB. That is if you can.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Was this software dealer on eBay?

You should be very careful about buying software setup CDs/DVDs from eBay and similar sites. Only buy proper hologrammed packages, and make sure it isn't an upgrade or system recovery CD (or a service pack!). Never buy branded OEM CDs, as they are not necessarily generic: they need only have drivers for the hardware of the PC they were intended for, in fact they may have extra drivers for hardware that will not exist in your PC or VM, and these can cause trouble.

There's no problem with buying an OEM install CD/DVD, per se. Just make sure that it's genuine, original, and isn't branded, i.e. make sure that it wasn't intended for specific hardware.

Also, I find the SP3 claim rather suspect - it's another big red flag on eBay. I use HP machines at work (in fact at home too - this PC right here is an HP desktop), and AFAIK HP had stopped distributing XP disks long before SP3 came out in 2008. This could mean that the CD was slipstreamed - not genuine and therefore not supportable - though possibly XP-SP3 was available as a downgrade option from Vista.
g.fengler@online.de

@mpack, @scottgus 1, @socratis:

Thanks to you all by giving useful information. Meanwhile I found out that the software dealer from whom I bought the 3 OEM-versions has been blocked by Microsoft because of fraud. Maybe that something isn´t correct with the CDs and I have to withstand the loss of € 45. :(

Fortunately I remembered an Original version of XP Pro, which I bought in 2002. With this installation on VB was successful and also registration by telefone :). So I´m able to run my first virtual OS :) :)

Installation of Office 2003 was also successful, but registration by telefone is no longer possible, instead registration by Internet.
Unfortunately when trying so a message comes up that there is no connection to the Internet. As far as I know I the setup of VB and XP is correct with regards to the Internet connection, e.g. Internet Explorer connects to the Internet.

Presumably this is more a XP problem than a VB problem. Nevertheless I would be very obliged if I get help on this issue.

Best regards
gf
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Internet security standards have moved on past the levels that XP had. First try running updates on XP. Also look to see if you can still get Internet Explorer 8. (I know you can't get Google Chrome browser anymore for XP, I've tried. Maybe Firefox might allow Office to connect?)

Could also be that the online servers for activation Office 2003 have been turned off.

If you can't get Office to connect via internet and telephone activation is not available, then you're sold down the river...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I doubt that the Office 2003 activation servers are turned off.

I would just install FireFox or Pale Moon - I wouldn't bother hunting down old versions of Internet Explorer. Then make sure to download Office 2003 updates too. That should take care of any activation server compatibility issues.