HPE Smart Storage Administrator utility lockup error 851

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mguru

HPE Smart Storage Administrator utility lockup error 851

Post by mguru »

Long time we have curious trouble with virtualbox. HOST W2012 64 SERVER HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 When we use smart array gui or utility , this report on Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID 851 Controller lockup error: Restart the server and run a diagnostic report. Install the latest version of controller firmware. If the condition persists, the controller may need to be replaced or require service

This error ocurs when virtualbox is run and use direct hardware access with VTx. Guest os is openSUSE 64 13.1

Issue not change more as year and last four kernels...

When vbox is off lockup not present, when no hardware direct , too no lockup, but Linux guest system is unstable .

Raid Works ok with or without lockup, but with lockup we cant control raid status. HP utility show nothing in error state.

Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID controller have latest drv and fw. Issue tested on 5.0.4 - 5.0.26 i mean next too but not tested now.

Please help.

I report too as ticket No16174 3weeks ago , but nobody solve .b
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: HPE Smart Storage Administrator utility lockup error 851

Post by scottgus1 »

I vaguely remember something recently, last year-ish or so, about some folks wanting to run Virtualbox with VT-x on an HP Prolient, and needing a firmware upgrade to do it. You could do a Google search (use "site:forums.virtualbox.org" without the double quotes in your search to limit the search to the Virtualbox forums).

Or talk to HP, they may know. A likelihood is that the Raid controller software isn't sharing VT-x nicely with the rest of the children.
mguru

Post by mguru »

Hi Scott, thanks for reply.
I try Google as you write, but only some full crash old infos i read.
I too use HP service in warranty, inform about lockup, and hp support service plan replace my server mainboard...

I ignore this, because all work well, only utility no.
Both servers host (PDC 2012) and guest (openSUSE lan services mail ...) Works without trouble .

I wait long time (around 3years) to report this to Vbox, this time i test change update hp drivers, bios, utility, vbox from 4.x to 5.0.x
If i remember server Works from 7/2012, lockup not exist , vbox 4.2.12, initial drivers and bios as buy ML310
Then 2013 we make HPSUM update all fws drivers... and lockup 851 ocurs. Next step will update vbox to 5.0.8
Lockup ocurs too, next curios info is lockup not exist imediately after start host and guest, but some random hours after.
I mean when smart array controller is overloaded in host and guest try access it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If I understand right, When you run the Virtualbox without using VT-x ("direct hardware access") the raid controller software runs OK, but the Virtualbox guest is unstable.

When you run the Virtualbox guest with VT-x turned on, the guest is unstable, but the raid controller software has errors.

The only thing different between the two situations is the Virtualbox guest using VT-x or not. This behavior is consistent with a problem in the raid controller software.

Several kinds of programs can use VT-x to speed up their processes. Only one program on a computer can use VT-x at one instant of time, but the programs can all share VT-x by passing it around, like a group of people all sharing one bag of candy. Virtualbox is designed to share nicely with other programs. The raid software appears to not share nicely, it wants VT-x all to itself.

Updating Virtualbox probably will not fix this problem. You can see if there is an update to the raid controller software, or report the problem to their developers and see if something can be done.

One other idea: I have seen that raid controller software might be installed on different computers besides the server that has the raid controller, for remote administration. If you can't get updates to the raid controller software, you might see if the software can be installed on another computer in your system.
mguru

Post by mguru »

Second situation you miss.
When you run the Virtualbox guest with VT-x turned on, the guest is stable, but the raid controller software has errors.

And too raid driver/controller dont need or use VT-x. Windows host controlls disk raid directly and vbox over VT-x.
And i mean when host master have full longer time disk operation, VT-x try interrupt it. Then driver set any lockup mark = error in utility report.
But nothing happens, all continues working fine .

Or better explain , i mean guest Linux kernel try directly access over VT-x disk array, but this is unnecesary and stupid, because disc is vhd type file in guest and dont need any direct hw access.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, Mguru, you're right, I was a bit fumble-fingered. This:'
When you run the Virtualbox guest with VT-x turned on, the guest is stable, but the raid controller software has errors
was what I was trying to write.

In your first post you reported:
When we use smart array gui or utility...lockup error...This error occurs when virtualbox is run and use direct hardware access with VTx...Raid Works ok with or without lockup, but with lockup we cant control raid status.
This sounds like the raid array continues to work but the administration software has problems.

This also:
when host master have full longer time disk operation, VT-x try interrupt it. Then driver set any lockup mark = error in utility report. But nothing happens, all continues working fine .
sounds like the raid array continues to work even though the error appears in the admin software.

I also don't think that the raid controller needs VT-x. Raid controllers can be used on computers where the CPU might not have VT-x. But the raid administration software, the app you use to control the raid array while the host OS is running, might be programmed to use VT-x, and may not use it well, thus interfering with Virtualbox's use of VT-x.

You should ask the administration software's developers & forum if their software uses VT-x and can it be made to not use it. Also look through the raid administration software's settings to see if there's a checkbox for using "hardware acceleration" or "Virtualization technology" or something like that and uncheck it. If neither of these work, see if the admin software can run on another PC on the network, and if so run it on a Virtualbox guest Bridged to the host's network.

VT-x is a virtualization scheme, not a disk access system. VT-x will not help or hinder the Linux guest to access its virtual disk. The VHD file for the guest is just a file on the raid array. VT-x helps the Linux guest use multiple processors, 64 bits, or more than 4GB memory.
mguru

Post by mguru »

Thank you scottgus, all this i accept.
I report and write about 851 , because need check if anyother have same trouble.
HP maybe solve this if oracle contact his dirdectly. I cant found any info about vt-x in HPSSA
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Doesn't seem that there is anyone else who is getting the same error.
Which version of Virtualbox and which OS Version are you using as host and guest?