Clipboard in headless mode status?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
johny_mnemonic
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora, Kubuntu

Re: Clipboard in headless mode status?

Post by johny_mnemonic »

socratis wrote:
johny_mnemonic wrote:Could you please point me to the solution you are talking about?
It's in this thread. Did you read the whole thread where the OP came to the conclusion that his setup was faulty and it was causing the problem? Start from the first post.
I did read the whole thread before I posted my thorough analysis with logs in March and I can't find any solution to not working clipboard in VRDP in this thread.
In case, you are referring to the post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80793&start=15#p383574 where Suncatcher reported something like that it is not possible to have more then one RDP connections and working clipboard, then you can dismiss that theory really fast.
I am using such setup on daily basis and same as geekster reported here posting.php?mode=quote&f=6&p=394153#pr383824, having multiple open RDP connections and copying text using clipboard between them and between client works without any issue.
Suncatcher called that mystery, but I can assure you, it works ;-)

As I wrote in my post, everything worked with Virtualbox 4.x and Windows 7 just fine. With upgrade to Virtualbox 5.x and Windows 10 VRDP clipboard stopped working.
And the prove, that it is something wrong with virtualbox guest additions is, that when RDP client connects to a guest, guest clipboard is broken even after the RDP client disconnects and the only reliable cure seems to be guest OS reboot.

I am not saying, that the sole root cause is Virtualbox. Maybe it just reacts wrongly on something new in MS RDP client, that was not in older MS RDP clients (new MS RDP protocol?), which is the most probable cause, if you ask me to guess, but there is definitely issue in it and needs some debugging.
You can say that priority of such fix is small, as there is not many users complaining, but please do not try to pretend, there is no issue in Virtualbox at all and blame everything on client. That is obviously not truth.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

johny_mnemonic wrote:there is definitely issue in it and needs some debugging
I wouldn't know where to start.
johny_mnemonic wrote:please do not try to pretend, there is no issue in Virtualbox at all and blame everything on client. That is obviously not truth.
Oh, I'm not trying to pretend anything. I don't even use RDP for Pete's sake! I was trying to replicate an issue that Suncatcher was reporting. I had to install RDP clients and enable servers and open firewalls.

I couldn't reproduce it. That doesn't mean that VirtualBox is bug free, it means I can't reproduce it, no matter what I tried. So, the logical conclusion would be that something was wrong with the RDP client's setup in Suncatcher's case. Which it was. I couldn't do anything about it, be it debugging or troubleshooting. Suncatcher was the only one that could. And he found a problem with his RDP client. That's it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
johny_mnemonic

Post by johny_mnemonic »

OK, sorry if I was rude, but you sounded like if "there is no way VRDP is broken and the only think that can be broken is the client". Maybe my english is simply not good.

Anyway, Suncatcher found viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80793&start=30#p383869 few days after his "confessing" post, that the clipboard doesn't work for him even with one active RDP connection, so that the theory with simultaneous RDP connections blocking clipboard was all gone few days after he came with it...

In case you know how to enable debugging on guest additions, I am willing to play with it for a while. I even have two other computers running Windows 10, where I can install virtualbox and try to run some linux VM and access it with RDP, just to make sure, it is not an isolated case of my working laptop...
The thing, that RDP connection is braking clipboard functionality inside the guest OS, seems promising to me. If I can find, what is going on there, maybe we will have the root cause.
Last edited by socratis on 31. May 2017, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

johny_mnemonic wrote:OK, sorry if I was rude
Not at all. No way...
johny_mnemonic wrote:you sounded like if "there is no way VRDP is broken and the only think that can be broken is the client"
I'm kind of saying that, based on the fact that all the tests that *I* have done, revealed no problems so far. Three different Windows (7, 7x64, 10x64) and none had any issues. I have to add that they're as clean as possible, especially the x64 ones. The Win7x64 has a couple of games, Notepad++, Firefox and VirtualBox, and Win10x64 has Notepad++, Firefox and VirtualBox. Pretty boring...
johny_mnemonic wrote:Suncatcher found few days after his "confessing" post, that the clipboard doesn't work for him even with one active RDP connection
OK, I didn't see that one, or I forgot about it. Sorry about that...
johny_mnemonic wrote:In case you know how to enable debugging on guest additions
Only what the documentation says, I've never tried it. See: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBoxLogging at the "Guest Additions" section.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
johny_mnemonic

Post by johny_mnemonic »

socratis wrote:
johny_mnemonic wrote:In case you know how to enable debugging on guest additions
Only what the documentation says, I've never tried it. See: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBoxLogging at the "Guest Additions" section.
OK, will check it anyway.

Which Linux distros did you try inside VM? It could easily be some incompatibility with chosen window manager or specific configuration of it. That's one of the Linux downsides - inconsistency...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't really remember, but I believe it was Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora. Do you have any specific configuration you'd want me to try? It should be easy, just downloading the DVD and making a new temp VM...
johny_mnemonic

Post by johny_mnemonic »

The only thing, that could be special is, that I am now using KDE on Fedora and previously LXDE.
But on my old Windows 7 setup, I had KDE with both Ubuntu and Fedora without issues, so I doubt it could be related...
Last edited by socratis on 1. Jun 2017, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

KDE might be a factor. It's known that it doesn't play nice with VirtualBox. I don't know if this might be the source of your problem, but it certainly has caused a lot of headaches in the past.
rdol

Post by rdol »

It doesn't work with Windows 10 used as both host and guest. It has to be something inside VirtualBox.