VBox crashes after 4-8 hours OHCI#0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
monkia

VBox crashes after 4-8 hours OHCI#0

Post by monkia »

Hi,

I'm running Virtual Box for Ubuntu on Windows 8. It works fine but after between 4-8 hours it freezes, maxes out 2 CPUs and has 100% disk usage (viewing in Task Manager).
This has been happening since I installed it (circa 4 weeks).

This is the error I get from the logs:

05:14:02.158162 OHCI#0: Lagging too far behind, not trying to catch up anymore. Expect glitches with USB devices
05:17:54.722629 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 4 seconds ago

Log file attached.

The only USB device I am using is my mouse.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.log
(111.34 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBox crashes after 4-8 hours OHCI#0

Post by socratis »

There have been several reports lately about Win10 systems freezing, with no clear indication on what might be going on. Here's a couple of things to try, with no assurance that they're going to work:
  • Disable the KVM paravirtualization. VM Settings » System » Acceleration » Paravirtualization Interface: None.
  • Check the energy/power settings of your host and your guest. The guest's ones set them to never sleep, full energy, no power savings, etc., you get the meaning. And in the host make sure that things like USB, network, graphics do not go into low power mode if they don't have to.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
monkia

Post by monkia »

Hi @socratis....

This has been stable for 3 days now, so it seems it worked.

I did not do anything with the power settings, I just did this:
  • Disable the KVM paravirtualization. VM Settings » System » Acceleration » Paravirtualization Interface: None.
Plus I also changed the following (which probably has not had any effect)
  • System -> Motherboard -> Base memory from 4096MB to 6871MB (half way)
  • Display -> Screen -> Video memory from 33MB to 45MB (half way)
Thanks a lot for your advice!

Rgds
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

monkia wrote:System -> Motherboard -> Base memory from 4096MB to 6871MB (half way)
Actually that's not a good idea. Do not deprive your host from resources if you don't have to. 4096 is way more than a typical Win10 installation wants. Monitor your guest's memory allocation from within the guest with the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
monkia wrote:Display -> Screen -> Video memory from 33MB to 45MB (half way)
Actually that's a better idea, but you need to improve on it. Take it all the way to 128MB.

Glad that the KVM thing worked for you, I was almost just shooting in the dark.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
monkia

Post by monkia »

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm running Windows 10 as the host and Ubuntu as the virtual box.

Windows is showing 66% memory usage. Of which 118MB is for VM.

When I'm in Ubuntu is it saying (watch command) 3617(?MB?) used (1675MB free).

It looks like both are running about balanced (about 25-33% free). Although, I have no idea why these figures shouldnt match approximately?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

monkia wrote:I'm running Virtual Box for Ubuntu on Windows 8
monkia wrote:I'm running Windows 10 as the host and Ubuntu as the virtual box.
Yep, I got confused. Windows 10 is your host. VirtualBox runs on the host. Your guest (the Virtual Machine) is Ubuntu.

As for the memory part, I really don't know what is reported by Win10, but 118 MB sounds really, really low for a VM.