Another Potential Hardened Security Problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
urdebest

Another Potential Hardened Security Problem

Post by urdebest »

Hi,

I've read through the "Discussion of Problems due to Hardened Security " thread, tried the steps at the technology knowledge base posting about Oracle VirtualBox Error 0xc0000005 / E_FAIL (0x80004005), and executed an sfc /SCANNOW (with no issues identified) but am still having no luck starting VMs within virtual box after an in place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I'm getting the following error(s) and my logs are attached.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine CentOS.

The virtual machine 'vm name' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in \path\to\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

VirtualBox Verison: VirtualBox 5.1.8 r111374
Host OS and version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Other tools running: Symantec Endpoint Protection, EMET

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Hardening log
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Another Potential Hardened Security Problem

Post by scottgus1 »

There's none of the usual suspects in the log, no "errors" or "failed"s or "rejected"s (There is a "NtOpenDirectoryObject failed on \Driver: 0xc0000022", but I have that in a working guest's log, so I don't think it's a problem.)

There are a couple program mentioned in the Adversarties section, Symantec Endoint and ZoneAlarm. You also mention EMET. I would try uninstalling (not disable, uninstall) these programs, then reboot and see what Virtualbox does. If it starts, then install one of the programs, reboot, see what happens, install the next, reboot, etc.