Cannot reclaim Allocated memory.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MasoomBadi

Cannot reclaim Allocated memory.

Post by MasoomBadi »

I recently installed Backtrack 5 r3 and allocated 40gb hdd
Space and 2 gb ram. I deleted my virtual os. Manually deleted .vdi files from c:\users\Username\Virtualbox VMs still cannot reclaim my allocated space. Please help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot reclaim Allocated memory.

Post by socratis »

Just so we're on the same page, "memory" refers to RAM. The other allocated type that you store things permanently is the HD space. Are you referring to RAM that you cannot reclaim? Or to HD space (since you say you deleted the files)?

In any case, if the VM is not running and you deleted the files, it's not VirtualBox that's occupying RAM or HD.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

MasoomBadi wrote:Manually deleted .vdi files from c:\users\Username\Virtualbox VMs
Try the Recycle Bin?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox doesn't do anything special to "claim" disk space. It creates files, just like any other application. If those files are deleted, and the recycle bin emptied, then VirtualBox files no longer occupy any space. If they do then you have a problem with the host OS, not with VirtualBox.