Is there currently a problem with video?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tossman

Is there currently a problem with video?

Post by tossman »

Is anyone else having a problem with the current VB (ver 5.1.8 r111374 (Qt5.5.1))? In all linux VMs any video in a browser or in VLC lags the audio. The audio and video are out of sync.

BTW-anyone reading this that can't get video to play at all-this may be helpful!
I couldn't get any video to play at all until I changed the Audio setting in VB.....
First Enable Audio then the default "Host Audio Driver" was set to "Windows DirectSound". Leave that as is. Now under that the "Audio Controller" was defaulted to "ICA AC97"-change this to "Intel HD Video"
You should be able to at least play a video-but in my case the video plays bad (audio portion of the video lags).

VB Stats:
1) My VB Guest Additions is ver 5.1.8_111374
2) Moved Video Memory to 128 MG and enabled 3D Acceleration
3) Changed Audio Controller from ICH 97 to Windows DirectSound
everything else is more or less left on default-except NAT doesn't work so I used Bridged connection (I'll deal with that later)
Host Stats:
Win 8.1 on Asus m51ac computer (CPU=i5), Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1 GB,monitor= 1200x900 resolution
(I mention the resolution of the monitor because all of my Linux VMs are reporting the resolution as 1600x820 at 59.92 refresh rate. I don't know if that matters.
Any help much appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Is there currently a problem with video?

Post by socratis »

If you re-phrase the question to "a problem with audio", or "audio delay", or "audio lag", yes, there are plenty of people that have reported this. They're working on it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tossman

Re: Is there currently a problem with video?

Post by tossman »

Ok. Thanks.
It is not that big of a deal for me;I'm not going to revert to earlier versions. I can wait.