Remote Desktop not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Egeil

Remote Desktop not working

Post by Egeil »

I am running a Win10 x64 machine, onto which I have created multiple Win7 x64 virtual boxes.

-I have VirtualBox version 5.1.8r111374, and installed Extension Pack of the same version.

-I enabled remote desktop on one of the sessions

-I've tried default port 3389, as well as others, tried all 3 authentication modes, and allowing/not allowing multiple connections

-I've tried starting the virtual machine as normal / detachable / headless, and when running as detachable, I've tried connecting with the VM open, and with it "detached".

-I've tried connecting with Windows' Remote Desktop, and VNC Viewer.

-I've tried using hostname and IP address with and without :port.

-I've tried all of the above with firewall turned off on both the host machine and the virtual machine.
With the firewall OFF on the virtual machine, the VNC Viewer gives "connection was refused"
With the firewall ON on the virtual machine, the VNC Viewer takes longer, and gives "timeout"

In all cases, I can not connect to the machine. It just times out.

I also tried to connect to the specified port(s) using putty telnet, and it just times out.

My Virtual Machine is set up using the "Bridged" network adapter.

I've read all kinds of other posts on this topic, and tried anything that looked relevant. As far as I can tell, I have everything set correctly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
Egeil

Re: Remote Desktop not working

Post by Egeil »

Apparently I misunderstood how this is supposed to work. :D

I was attempting to connect using the IP assigned to the virtual machine. You need to connect to the HOST machine. In my case, the host machine is already running remote desktop server on the default port(3389), so I had to do two things:

1 - Specify a different port for the VM session (documentation suggested something between 5000 to 5050, so I used 5000)
2 - connect via Remote Desktop using the HOST computer name (or IP), with port 5000.

All good 8)
jradxl

Post by jradxl »

I'm glad you wrote this....
I was just assuming it was the IP of the VM
Working fine using 3390 on 127.0.0.1
Thanks
Sitting Duck

Post by Sitting Duck »

Cool, now I can RDP a MacOS X ? Very nice !
SmithersTheOracle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by SmithersTheOracle »

Hey I'm working on the VirtualBoxPS PowerShell module and I just created the command to open Remote Desktop to a VM like this. I had a question for any of you that have tried it. I noticed that when I connect, my mouse is all over the place (not where my actual mouse is). Are you seeing the same problem? Maybe it's because I'm on Windows 7? Sorry, I know this should be a new issue, but I figured since you're all actually using it, you might have seen it first-hand.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10

Post by scottgus1 »

@Smithers, you should probably start a new topic for your RDP issue. The OP & others seem to have had issues figuring out which IP address to use for Virtualbox RDP. You seem to be questioning proper mouse location. Different subject, different thread, please.
SmithersTheOracle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7

Post by SmithersTheOracle »

Sounds good I will. Just was hoping to cheat and steal some feedback because I'm lazy. :lol: