Blue screen on Ubuntu start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
flaviumanica

Blue screen on Ubuntu start

Post by flaviumanica »

Hello!

I have installed Ubuntu 64bit with VirtualBox,on a Windows 10 machine. Everything worked fine until 2 days ago when my Windows installed some updates.
Today I tried to open Ubuntu again, but after the loading screen (the purple one where I can see the name and version on Ubuntu and the loading thing), instead of seeing the Desktop page on Ubuntu, I only see a completely blue screen. I've tried powering off the machine and starting it again, I've also restarted Windows,but nothing changes.
Can you tell me what I can do?

Thanks,
Flaviu
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Blue screen on Ubuntu start

Post by socratis »

1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not suspended, not paused. Complete shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
flaviumanica

Post by flaviumanica »

I've done what you said. Here's the archive. Thanks!
Attachments
Ubuntu-2016-10-16-15-55-40.rar
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Ubuntu-2016-10-16-15-55-40.rar
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.832178 Host RAM: 1933MB total, 555MB available
00:00:04.338312   RamSize     <integer> = 0x000000003c000000 (1 006 632 960, 960 MB)
00:00:04.338916   VRamSize    <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
Your computer in really under-powered with 1933 MB of RAM. When you start the VM, you have 555 MB left available. You are assigning memory to your guest (960+16+overhead), that you do not have available. Either close applications on the host, buy more RAM for the host, or reduce the amount of RAM assigned to the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
flaviumanica

Post by flaviumanica »

I have just set the base memory at 512 MB (and later even 256MB) and I started the VM immediately after I started my laptop,so that no application would be open. And everything is the same, the same blue screen as before.
However,I installed the VM 1 week ago and everything worked fine for a couple of days. It started to cause me problems all of a sudden (I didn't install any new program to consume memory; the only 'big' change were the automatic updates).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

flaviumanica wrote:the only 'big' change were the automatic updates
With their new way of updating Windows 10, expect trouble. You can thank Microsoft for not giving developers enough time to test their apps. Your best option is to use the Testbuilds and see if that fixes it.
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
TheComputerBetaG
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, W2K, XP, ReactOS

Post by TheComputerBetaG »

With you still having the issue with not having applications opened when you boot the VM, I would recommend to check the processes running in the background (e.g. chrome, HP web print, etc.)

I would also add that with Windows 10, it is fairly new and still buggy, I know, I use it on my host. The usage is ridicule compared to 7 or even 8 ( and 8.1) for the GUI.
DonqpeR

Post by DonqpeR »

I have the same issue with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64bit) guest on Windows 10 (64 bit) host. It started after I updated the Guest Additions to version 5.1.8 from 5.1.6
Without 3D acceleration I have a blue screen after entering the password at the graphical login prompt.
With 3D acceleration I have a flashing blue screen.
Performing the same update on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64bit) guest - having the same VM settings - was successful though...
Attachments
Ubuntu-16.04-LTS-2016-10-21-10-49-49.log.zip
VBox.log
(30.06 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
DonqpeR

Post by DonqpeR »

Running "dpkg --configure -a" on the console has solved my problem. I have my GUI back to normal.
Sagar64

Post by Sagar64 »

flaviumanica wrote:Hello!

I have installed Ubuntu 64bit with VirtualBox,on a Windows 10 machine. Everything worked fine until 2 days ago when my Windows installed some updates.
Today I tried to open Ubuntu again, but after the loading screen (the purple one where I can see the name and version on Ubuntu and the loading thing), instead of seeing the Desktop page on Ubuntu, I only see a completely blue screen. I've tried powering off the machine and starting it again, I've also restarted Windows,but nothing changes.
Can you tell me what I can do?

Thanks,
Flaviu
Solved!! Well I was dealing with the same problem. I was working on 64 bit Ubuntu on Windows 10 using VirtualBox machine. Everything was working fine until one day when i started getting the blue screen. Hyper V is the culprit. But first ensure if the Hardware virtualization is turned on in your BIOS. Then go to Turn windows features on or off settings and deselect Hyper V. Reboot the system and try running your VirtualBox again. It should work fine.
diegopborneo

Post by diegopborneo »

I have the same problem but couldnt solve it by disabling hyper v because i dont even have that option since i am running windows 10 home. I have checked the ram requirements and they seem ok. I am really lost and would appreciate the help, my vm was working fine last week

vbox> 2.1.26 version
guest: ubuntu 16.04
host: windowa 10 home
Attachments
vm diegopborneo logs.zip
(26.08 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
arnimi

Post by arnimi »

I had the same problem. It seems to be some updates that Ubuntu has done on the last session but some updates are missing.

So...what I did was:

1-. Opening terminal on login screen: Ctrl+Alt+F1
2.- sudo dpkg --configure -a
When you run it, you will see there is a dependency on linux-generic-hwe that is not updated. This dependency seems to be linux-headers-generic. So...
3.- sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
4.- When everything is installed then reboot.
5.- You will see your desktop working well again

I hope it will work for all of you also.
ajax98

Post by ajax98 »

I have a similar issue. I tried to download UnrealEngine in my guest Linux OS. It downloaded but did not work and to fix this I tried to share the UnrealEngine files with my guest and host OS as detailed by some solution online. The next time I loaded Ubuntu on VirtualBox I got a blue screen. I have attached the error logs. Is there a particular reason why I am getting this error?
Attachments
Ubuntu_log.zip
(16.07 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ajax98 wrote:I have a similar issue.
No you don't. You don't even have a Windows host, you have an OSX host. And you don't get a BSOD. And since this thread is way too old, and you're not having the same problem, and it seems that everyone that has an Ubuntu problem posts here, instead of opening a new one with an appropriate title, I'm locking this.

Please open a new thread, with an appropriate title in the appropriate place: "Linux Guests". Thanks...