Promethean interactive board has not working after start VirtualBox.exe

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ILya1

Promethean interactive board has not working after start VirtualBox.exe

Post by ILya1 »

Windows 7 64-bit
Virtualbox 5.1, 5.0

This is a very strange problem... VirtualBox work perfect, but when I start VirtualBox.exe, my Interactive board not working.
Driver for Windows 7 64, I downloaded here:
https://support.prometheanworld.com/help-library/?t=2

I tried install Extension Pack, problem not changed.

Eventvwr.msc doesn't contains any errors or warnings.

I dont have knowledge about drivers, so I cant diagnostic it. :(

But if you say about something utilities and parameter for run it - it can I do. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Promethean interactive board has not working after start VirtualBox.exe

Post by socratis »

• Which Activ... product are you using?
• Is it a USB product?
• When you say it's not working, do you mean in the host (physical computer) or in the guest (Virtual Machine)?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ILya1

Post by ILya1 »

1)
Product: ABV378E100

devmgmt.msc:

Promethean ActivBoard V3
HID\Promethean_ac3&Col01
HID_DEVICE_UP:000D_U:0006

Promethean ActivBoard V3 Driver
USB\VID_0D48&PID_0004&REV_0000

Promethean ActivPen
HID\Promethean_ac3&Col03
HID_DEVICE_UP:000D_U:0004
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) Yes it is USB product.

3) After start VirtualBox.exe, smartboard silent not working - nothing error messages, nothing in eventvwr.msc. When I drive a pen over the surface - nothing happening.
ActiveBoard connected to physical computer. VirtualBox doesn't contains any virtual machine - its clear, just installed VirtualBox.

Thank you for reply :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Make sure you are not using a USB filter (in the VM settings) which might have grabbed ownership of that device. Make sure that any USB filter identifies the unique device it is intended to match.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I don't think USB filters are relevant (or even there at all ;)) when "VirtualBox doesn't contains any virtual machine - its clear, just installed VirtualBox"
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. If you don't run VirtualBox, the Promethean ActivBoard works fine?
  2. If you uninstall VirtualBox and install it with the "VirtualBox USB support" not enabled, the Promethean ActivBoard works fine?
  3. And just to make double sure, you have not created any VMs, correct?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ILya1

Post by ILya1 »

socratis wrote: [*]If you uninstall VirtualBox and install it with the "VirtualBox USB support" not enabled, the Promethean ActivBoard works fine?
Yes, seems I very stupid idiot :D.

Ofcourse it was obviously - just disable "VirtualBox USB support" at install VirtualBox. Problem has gone. 8)

Sorry for spend yours time :(

Thank you socratis! :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, that's not a true solution, that's a workaround. Because you will not have any USB support in VirtualBox. There seems to be a conflict of sorts, although I have to admit that this is the first time I've heard the VirtualBox USB filters actually disabling a USB device on the host.

See if you can talk to the ActiveBoard folks and have them install VirtualBox to replicate the problem. It's much easier compared to having the VirtualBox developers getting their hands on an ActiveBoard. Unless you get these two groups talking...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There was one thing I forgot to ask you to do, which I remembered when I replied to another post with the same issue: Windows 10 host no longer recognizes new USB devices after running VirtualBox. I'm going to propose the same thing that worked in the other case.

Did you install VirtualBox by right-clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as Administrator"? Did you try to completely turn off UAC before the installation?