can't get Internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ellenfinkl

can't get Internet

Post by ellenfinkl »

I've created a VM and installed Windows, but there's no Internet connection. My computer has broadband access via ethernet connected to my router, but the VM doesn't recognize it.
I tried going toh the Network and Sharing Center, Set Up a New Connection. It says, "Windows did not detect any networking hardware."
When I go to my main Windows Net Connections settings (not in the VM), it lists Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.
The Network Connections area also lists VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. But trying to diagnose gives me "Troubleshooting couldn't detect the problem"

In the VirtubalBox Manager under Network, it lists Adapter 1: PCnet-FAST III (NAT)
If I go into the Network settings, under Adapter 1, "Enable Network Adapter is checked and I have a drop-down list of options:
NAT - doesn't work
NAT Network-no name available
Bridged Adapter-doesn't work
Internal network-doesn't work
Host-Only Adapter-can't even open the VM when I choose this!
Generic Driver-can't choose because no name is available

How do I get Windows to recognize my Internet service?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: can't get Internet

Post by socratis »

In the VM Settings, Network, select NAT or Bridged. You do not mention your guest, but "PCnet-FAST III" is used mainly by XP VMs.
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or suspended state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Record the error message. EXACTLY. Post a screenshot if you have to.
  3. Shut down the VM. Not suspended, not paused. Shut down.
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (just the first log), ZIP it and attach it in your response (see the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the form).
On top of that, I'd like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ellenfinkl

Post by ellenfinkl »

The error message is just "Not connected-No connections are available" when I hover the mouse over the Internet icon in the Windows taskbar.
I'm attaching both files you requested. I zipped the vbox file because I got a message here that the extension vbox is not allowed.
Thanks,
Ellen
P.S. I appreciate the clear instructions!
Attachments
PPT-old versions.zip
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
PPT-old versions-2016-10-18-20-09-00.log
(102.85 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said in my first reply:
socratis wrote:In the VM Settings, Network, select NAT or Bridged. You do not mention your guest, but "PCnet-FAST III" is used mainly by XP VMs.
You have Windows 10. It doesn't even have a driver for the PCnet-FAST III card! It will never work.

I see many "weird" things in the VBOX file. Please answer the following:
  • Did you create this VM? Did somebody give you this VM?
  • How old is this VM?
  • Is it an upgrade, after upgrade, after upgrade?
  • Why were the defaults not honored?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ellenfinkl

Post by ellenfinkl »

I started it from scratch. I had many problems with it, so some changes were made to be able to install Windows. After that, I just fiddled around with the Network settings.
If PCnet-FAST III isn't the right one for Windows 10, which should I choose? My options are:
PCnet-PCI II (Am 79C970A)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (8254OEM)
Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (8254EM)
Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net)

The VM is a few months old.
Not sure what you mean by upgrade after upgrade, but I have received noticed to upgrade Virtual Box, in fact I got one today when I opened it
Not sure how to answer about the defaults. I just created it and made the changes necessary to try to get it to work.

By the way, what is a "guest?" Is Windows 10 the guest?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The defaults have a meaning, they're not arbirtary. If you deviate from them, you'd better know what you're doing, and most importantly, why. In your case, you've got to change/fix/correct the following:
  • Change the "Adapter Type:" to "Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)".
  • Change the "Attached to:" to "NAT".
Of course you'll do the changes with the VM completely shut down, not paused, not saved/suspended.

Upgrade after upgrade, I meant exactly that, upgrading the VirtualBox version, because I see a lot of "old-style" settings. Funny thing is that VirtualBox didn't auto-clear/update them, don't know why, but don't worry about it.

A guest is the virtual machine running on your physical computer (host).
ellenfinkl

Post by ellenfinkl »

I looked at the VM on my other computer and it was set to NAT and the Adapter type was set to Intel Pro 1000 MT Desktop. So I tried those settings and it worked!
So I'm good.
Thanks for the help,
Ellen
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, why did you have me dig up the defaults, since you already knew the answer? :D
Glad you got it going...