Can't Access guest Windows XP Shared Folder from host Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
@rieru

Can't Access guest Windows XP Shared Folder from host Windows 10

Post by @rieru »

After upgrading my Surface, to the las Windows 10 upgrade, I figured out, that I can't access my Windows XP shared folder (guest), from win10.

Other machines in my network, can access the shared folder, width no issues, but, when I double click in the name of the machine, when I exploring
network from host, I get an error (access denied).

Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't Access guest Windows XP Shared Folder from host Windows 10

Post by socratis »

You're the 2nd person today that reports a shared folder problem combined with a Windows 10 update. The other user is running Windows 10 as a guest, not as a host, but still it makes me wonder if it's something that has to do with the Windows 10 update. I'll try to upgrade my Windows 10 VM and see what's going on. Do you mind giving me the exact version that Windows 10 is reporting? If you don't know how to find it, run "winver" and it will pop up.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
@rieru

Post by @rieru »

Yes, of course!

Version: 1607 (OS Compilation 14393.187)

The host machine is logged in using hotmail account, but the problem is when I search for a shared resource in the GUEST MACHINE (it uses XP by the way).

Tanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's not what I have for the latest update. I just run the updates and I ended up with:
  • Edition: Windows 10 Pro
  • Version: 1511
  • OS Build: 10586.589
  • System type: 32-bit operating system, x86-based processor
BTW, no problem with the shared folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pt58

Post by pt58 »

socratis wrote:That's not what I have for the latest update. I just run the updates and I ended up with:
  • Edition: Windows 10 Pro
  • Version: 1511
  • OS Build: 10586.589
  • System type: 32-bit operating system, x86-based processor
BTW, no problem with the shared folders.
Looks like you haven't run the Win10 Anniversary Update (V1607) on your PC.

I'm running Win10 14393.187 with Virtualbox 5.1.6
I've just tried accessing a shared folder on a WinXP guest from the Win10 host and didn't have any problem.
I can also access a shared folder on the Win10 host from the XP guest.
The XP guest is configured for Bridged Networking.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

pt58 wrote:Looks like you haven't run the Win10 Anniversary Update (V1607) on your PC.
That would seem to be the case. I just realized that "1511" means Nov/2015, while "1607" means Jul/2016, aka Anniversary update. I'm off to the races to try and see how I can update it, because, as I said, this update was not one that was offered. Maybe I need to change some settings...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Maybe I need to change some settings...
Replying to myself here, but I found the settings I needed to change; enlarge the hard drive. 13GB free is not enough, you need at least 16GB! For an update! Why don't they call it a re-install? :evil: