virtualbox 5.1.6 error message on installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jakewashere

virtualbox 5.1.6 error message on installation

Post by jakewashere »

Hello ,

I am trying to install "virtualbox 5.1.6' on windows 10 pro 64bit host (thinkpad laptop - i3-4000m / 8gb / 500gb)

I am getting the following error message,

'oracle vm virtualbox 5.1.6 setup wizard ended prematurely"

any asssistance given will be greatly appreciated .

thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualbox 5.1.6 error message on installation

Post by socratis »

jakewashere wrote:'oracle vm virtualbox 5.1.6 setup wizard ended prematurely"
That comes from Windows installer, not VirtualBox. Try to right-click the installer and choose "Run As Administrator".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
theboom1

Post by theboom1 »

socratis wrote:
That comes from Windows installer, not VirtualBox. Try to right-click the installer and choose "Run As Administrator".
i did that it didn't work.
theboom1

Post by theboom1 »

socratis wrote:
i get a pop up box that says exactly this Installation failed! Error: Fatal Error During install.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And the answer remains exactly the same; this is a Windows installer issue. You have to figure out what is going on with the MSI database, enable logging and take a look at the point of failure. Search for Windows Installers fixers. Even Microsoft has a couple of tools for correcting this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
theboom1

Post by theboom1 »

socratis wrote:And the answer remains exactly the same; this is a Windows installer issue. You have to figure out what is going on with the MSI database, enable logging and take a look at the point of failure. Search for Windows Installers fixers. Even Microsoft has a couple of tools for correcting this.
you were correct the issue was windows 10 didn't automatically update. I hac to update windows 10. Once i did that it would install as i ran it as administrator.