Audio Latency On Windows XP 64 Bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Audio Latency On Windows XP 64 Bit

Postby Fred J » 1. Sep 2016, 00:00

I have updated to version 5.1.4r of VirtualBox today on my Windows 10 64 bit host. The guest computer is a Windows XP 64 bit. I've noticed a delay of about half a second to 1 second with the audio. The audio sounds fine, just a little late. Is there a way to reduce the delay?

I made sure both OSs were up to date, and I made sure all the VirtualBox drivers on the guest OS were up to date.

Searching for topics relating to sound latency were anywhere from 2 to 7 years old and with different operating systems. I've tried the solutions offered on those posts nonetheless, but they didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Windows 10 specs:
Windows 10 64 bit Professional
128 GB main hard drive and 2 TB secondary drive
16 GB Ram
Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz

Windows XP specs
Allocated 20 GB for hard drive (installed on Windows 10's main hard drive)
Allocated 4 GB Ram
Allocated 2 CPUs

If I have omitted any information that could be useful, please let me know and I'll make them available. I'm not sure what else would be important to add. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Fred J

Re: Audio Latency On Windows XP 64 Bit

Postby dinosaur » 3. Sep 2016, 02:24

I have the same issue here with VirtualBox v5 (v4 was working just fine in this respect) for a Windows XP SP3 32 bits guest running on a Linux 64 bits host. The audio driver is AC97 for the guest and ALSA for the host. Turning on HPET on the guest doesn't change anything...
dinosaur

Re: Audio Latency On Windows XP 64 Bit

Postby dinosaur » 13. Sep 2016, 15:29

I opened a ticket on the bug tracker for this issue. Let's hope the VirtualBox team will get this quickly resolved.
dinosaur

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts