VirtualBox, WebEx, dwm, Oh My!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
keithrust

VirtualBox, WebEx, dwm, Oh My!

Post by keithrust »

Hi all,

I recently noticed that when I'm sharing my screen using WebEx my RAM would be consumed (16 GB) within a minute and all activity would slow down to a crawl if the VM was minimized. I'm running a Windows 10 VM on a Windows 10 host. As soon as the VM window was displayed the RAM would go back to normal. Minimize again and I can watch the RAM steadily increase until there's none left. I found that dwm.exe was growing from 100 KB or so up to 8+ GB, whatever was left in the tank. This appears to be related to having 3D acceleration enabled as once I turned it off the problem seemed to go away. I'm running 5.1.2 and I've been seeing this issue since about 5.0.18, possibly when the latest Windows 10 update came out. Since it's a very odd situation, 3D acceleration, minimized on Windows 10, only when sharing with WebEx, I thought I'd share to get feedback on any other ways this can be resolved as I'd like to enable 3D acceleration if possible.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox, WebEx, dwm, Oh My!

Post by scottgus1 »

Best place for this is the Bugtracker. Be prepared to provide logs for the guest, probably with and without Webex running. The developers will let you know what they'll need.
rbc

Post by rbc »

I'm having this exact same issue. Windows 10 host with Linux guest. Same behavior with host memory getting consumed and VB eventually crashing. Only happens during WebEx screen sharing.

Can also confirm that disabling 3D acceleration for the guest appears to circumvent the issue.

Has a bug already been opened? Thx.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

rbc wrote:Has a bug already been opened?
I highly doubt it. People usually go "meh, I'll leave it to someone else". But, did you search for it in the bugtracker? If you came up empty handed follow scottgus1's post and head to the bugtracker. I would simply add that if you file a ticket, please post the ticket # here for future reference.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.