VirtualBox 5.x on Win7x64 prevents local network to be identified.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tbavb

VirtualBox 5.x on Win7x64 prevents local network to be identified.

Post by tbavb »

Hello,

Been using VirtualBox for years, pretty much did each 4.x update although when got to 4.3.30, haven't updated in a while, so decided to do it tonight, it linked me to 5.0.26. Problem after install and reboot is my login takes 30+ seconds vs 1 second and all my mapped network drives couldn't be mapped. I tried the latest 5.1.x version tonight as well (uninstall/reinstall), etc.. same problem. If I disable the virtualbox network adapter host-only, then the local area network is identified and starts working, if I reboot, it goes back to not working. If I uninstall host-only, starts working, reboot, not working, but I can then disable one of the other virtualbox network adapters an starts working, until reboot, then doesn't work. Attaching picture (machine name blocked out) of what it looks like when not identified.

I reverted back (but still an update from 4.3.30) to 4.3.40 and everything working fine. So something in 5.x causes networking problems on my Win7 x64 machine which has virtualpc, vmware player, and virtualbox (i only use one at a time).
Attachments
shows stuck identifying network
shows stuck identifying network
8-24-2016 1-54-00 AM.png (48.9 KiB) Viewed 839 times
tbavb

Re: VirtualBox 5.x on Win7x64 prevents local network to be identified.

Post by tbavb »

Installer still broken with latest version. Can't it automatically use the correct parameters based on the OS or the existing install?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

tbavb wrote:Can't it automatically use the correct parameters based on the OS or the existing install?
What parameters are you referring to exactly?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dfatvb
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows/DOS

Post by dfatvb »

This is what you have to do for it to work properly and prevent the issue:

driveletter:\path\to\installer.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Does the enforcement of NDIS5 make the HostOnly network to be identifiable? Any explanation as to why that happens? Any references, citations?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.