Win 7 VM Boot Issue...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VirtuallyCurious

Win 7 VM Boot Issue...

Post by VirtuallyCurious »

I almost should have known I'd be creating this post, eventually at least. So I have a Win 7 VM that I used a partition manager, paragon partition manager to be exact. Naturally there was a power issue with my laptop during the process, that was taking a lot longer then it should have anyway. When I went to restart the VM I have the black screen of death with this message; "Interrupted operation: Insert the Recovery CD or other Recovery Media and reboot your PC..."

The wishful thinking that it's just a boot issue, MBR corruption or some such, and that the partitions and files are still fine. But one, I'm not sure what recovery to use and two, how to use the recovery using VB to begin with. I tried using my windows CD but no luck, of course. So I would love any and all help if possible. I have an exact copy of the VM but not with some files, so if nothing else that's all I'm really concerned about.

Thanks in advance and happy to give any additional information!
VirtuallyCurious

Re: Win 7 VM Boot Issue...

After a little more digging I tried to load the recovery both from paragon and windows through VB and haven't had any luck... Assuming that's what was going to be recommended, to which I could clearly use some help! As it is now I'm wondering if there's another way to access the files in the VMDK.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtuallyCurious wrote:I'm not sure what recovery to use and two, how to use the recovery using VB to begin with.
The exact same way that you would use if this was a real machine. The fact that it runs on virtual hardware does not change the recovery methods. Sure, (I tend to think) it makes it a little bit easier, but the basic premises are the same.
VirtuallyCurious wrote:As it is now I'm wondering if there's another way to access the files in the VMDK.
Again, the logic is the same as a physical machine. Say you had a boot problem in a computer. One of the easiest ways to recover files from the unbootable HD would be to mount it as a secondary drive to a working system. Same here. You mount the unbootable VMDK to another working VM and you either perform recovery procedures, or you simply copy your important documents, if you can.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What was the partition management task you tried to perform? I'm just curious because Win7 has a built in partition manager, so I'm wondering why you took the risk of using a 3rd party app.

Also puzzling me is that Win7 has a blue screen of death, not a black one. However, it's possible you were running Paragon from a boot CD (ISO) which was based on a Win8.x boot kernel.

And just to get it out there: I take it that no backups made before starting this obviously dangerous process.
VirtuallyCurious

@socratis - First, good to know that the premise is still the same, VM or regular. Trouble is I haven't had any luck in getting the VM to boot to \ with \ using the CD drive. Related to your potential solution, would love to know how to be able to do so. I checked the options and nothing popped out at first, mounting the unbootable VMDK to the working VM.

@mpack - Sadly it wasn't a perfect copy of my host, not that that's to blame as user error seems to be clearly obvious! And yeah, this isn't the typical BSOD as it's just black with the error message I typed above, though either way I may be equally screwed. And to answer your questions, yeppers! Hence palm meet forehead. Had done this enough to not think I'd have issues, yet here we are.
VirtuallyCurious

So yep, still had issues getting the VM to load \ access the CD drive, up to and including trying it on another computer. Would still love to be able to get to these files, and whats more, that they're seemingly still accessible, the size reflecting as much, makes this that much more of a nail biter.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtuallyCurious wrote:Trouble is I haven't had any luck in getting the VM to boot to \ with \ using the CD drive.
That is not expected. Which CD did you try? I believe it's time for a log. Post the VBox.log (zipped) with your failed boot from the CD.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VirtuallyCurious

Well trust me I have the kind of luck where the exception is the rule, or something like that. As for the CD's, I tried the recovery from Paragon software, though wasn't bowled over with the process, as well as a W7 rescue CD. Now as far as trying to use them, I went to Devices \ Optical drives, and went through those options to get the VM to access the CD's and didn't have any luck, if that is indeed the correct way of doing so.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(20.4 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
ScreenCap.jpg
ScreenCap.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The log shows that you haven't even loaded the CD/DVD! But then the screenshot doesn't make sense!
One other thing is that I don't have these DVDs, can you try with "Hiren's Boot CD". Google it.
VirtuallyCurious

Yikes, always the simplest explanation, but I knew I was having issues loading the CD\DVD. As far as the screen, that's the warning the paragon software is displaying.

As far as using the DVD's, my thoughts are hopefully if I'm able to load the CD\DVD drive I can go from there using one of the rescue CD's, and or the Hirems... I take it loading the drive isn't difficult?
VirtuallyCurious

So is there a specific way to get the VM to boot to CD? I've tried a few different options of getting the VM to access and or boot with the CD, but no luck. I'm thinking it's just a matter of that. Take Windows Recovery for instance. If you have issues with your host, with the boot or MBR or what have you, you might be able to use the CD during the start up process. Does the same principle apply here? Is there ever a time when you need the VM to access \ boot to the CD drive?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtuallyCurious wrote:So is there a specific way to get the VM to boot to CD?
Yes, the same as in a physical computer. Put a bootable CD in the CD drive, change the priority to boot from the CD first. If it is too stubborn (OSX guests sometimes), you take out the option to boot from the HD.
VirtuallyCurious

Welp, not looking good. Still get the same message from the Paragon software. I made the CD the first in the boot order, then HD, and it didn't even seem to access it at all. As this wouldn't be a shock at all, it has to be something I'm doing, as having the VM access the CD drive isn't something new or that hard to do, I'm guessing anyway. Is there anything else I'm not doing? I went to settings, system, motherboard, and change teh boot order. I even removed everything but the CD drive and got this;

"FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted."
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Before anyone can comment on how silly your configuration is, you first have to show us your configuration. So far I don't see any log or any .vbox settings file showing any ISO or CD connected to the VM at all.
VirtuallyCurious

Silly configuration, thank you for being kind:} Now are you referring to the file I already submitted? If so I'm not surprised as that was a new VM I created trying to use the corrupted VDMK. One of the things I'm looking for is basic instructions on how to install \ connect \ utilize, whatever the term I'm sure to be misusing, the CD drive.