Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Post by socratis »

TonySomerset wrote:Uninstalled VB 5.1.6, Hyper-V was checked, reinstalled VB 5.1.6 plus Essentials.
You haven't read the thread, have you? You have to uninstall Hyper-V.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hamlatzis

Post by hamlatzis »

socratis wrote:
TonySomerset wrote:Uninstalled VB 5.1.6, Hyper-V was checked, reinstalled VB 5.1.6 plus Essentials.
You haven't read the thread, have you? You have to uninstall Hyper-V.

In my opinion uninstalling a feature of the OS is unacceptable.For instance I use VMware to develope for BB10 with Hyper-V enabled without a problem. Unfortunately Jolla with their mobile OS SailfishOS has decided to use virtualbox and it's mandatory. They use two VM one for the emulator which I don't need as I can debug on the actual device, BUT the second one is used to build and compile apps.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

hamlatzis wrote:In my opinion uninstalling a feature of the OS is unacceptable.
So if I install Apache, I have to also have IIS? Not really.

For the necessity to disable Hyper-V [1] send a thank you postcard to Microsoft for taking an exclusive hold on VT-x, even when they don't need to.

Plus everything points to a very common error in VMWare as well:
VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Workstation.
I don't have VMWare, but they seem to be plagued by the same issue. In any event, this is not the VMWare forums, this is the VirtualBox forums and VirtualBox currently cannot run any VT-x related code while Hyper-V is enabled.

[1] I didn't mean uninstall, you can't "uninstall" it. I meant disable, my bad.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TonySomerset

Post by TonySomerset »

there are a lot of contra problems and solutions throughout this thread.
I have as stated previously unchecked hyper-v, rebooted and then checked back hyper-v, to no avail.

Are you saying VB cannot work with hyper-v checked?
Are you saying I have to uninstall VB, then uncheck hyper-v, reboot and then reinstall VB?

I will try anything, just confused as to what to do and whether you guys have a solution or are just fishing for one.
mxdog

Post by mxdog »

If you all problems are similar to mine then something is messing with Intel VT and since i haven't fixed it yet I will assume it is hyper-v. I downloaded Intel's processor ID utility http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05651.html and it reports I do not have VT with my processor which is a flat out lie. So having double checked my bios reinstalled the mother board drivers and now I am left with only an OS cause, which I will delve into next.
mxdog

Post by mxdog »

so in reply to Tony

1. determine if your Vt tech is disabled.
2. is hyper-v installed? if so uninstall
3. reboot
4 you should show vt enabled now
5 . run your 64 bit vm's
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Terminology alert: be careful about reducing "VT-x" to "VT". Intel has several technologies in this family (e.g. VT-x, VT-d, VT-c, VT-i), so it pays to be specific. The only one these forums generaly care about is VT-x. There is also the occasional discussion about VT-d (virtual I/O, supported on Linux hosts, but frankly not very useful even there).
TonySomerset

Post by TonySomerset »

Yeeha Sorted.
Incase it might help others struggling out there.
I was running virtual XP in VB 5.1.6 under Win10 successfully. Intel BIOS setting Intel Virtualization Technology - enabled and Features - Hyper-V checked.
Then came Win10 anniversary. VB still ran but XP BSOD.
Only change.
Unchecked Hyper-V with reboot. XP is now up and running again!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

hamlatzis wrote:In my opinion uninstalling a feature of the OS is unacceptable
You mean, you won't uninstall Edge so you can run Chrome? That's perfectly ok, by all means go with your gut. Nobody is saying that you have to uninstall Hyper-v, we're only saying that you can't use VirtualBox any other way. The choice remains yours.
hamlatzis

Post by hamlatzis »

mpack wrote: You mean, you won't uninstall Edge so you can run Chrome? That's perfectly ok, by all means go with your gut. Nobody is saying that you have to uninstall Hyper-v, we're only saying that you can't use VirtualBox any other way. The choice remains yours.
There is a difference between feature and application. Edge is an application, Hyper-v is a feature. And yes I haven't uninstalled Edge, just installed Chrome and other browsers in parallel so I can test html5 apps I create on different browsers.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, but imagine if you wanted to open a URL with Edge at some point and it couldn't because Chrome was installed. Then what? That's exactly the situation that VirtualBox is in.

Simplified, programs that use VT-x should do this: VT-x lock, execute, VT-x unlock. This way other processes can use VT-x in turns. If a program uses VT-x from the moment it is loaded and doesn't let go till the moment it dies, you have a problem...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Edge is no more or less of an application or feature than Hyper-v is. Is this going to be one of those "Bermuda Triangle" discussions where you change the definition to suit the point you want to make? If anything Edge has a deeper hooks into the OS than Hyper-v does. Hyper-v is a VM platform, plain and simple, it impacts the "hardware", not so much the OS. Same as VirtualBox. Just as in the Edge vs Chrome case you have an option to uninstall or disable the bundled offering and use a third party solution.

The main point remains: the VirtualBox requirements are clear, are not going to change, and nobody is forcing you to install it if you don't want it (unlike Edge and Hyper-v).
hamlatzis

Post by hamlatzis »

mpack wrote: The main point remains: the VirtualBox requirements are clear, are not going to change, and nobody is forcing you to install it if you don't want it (unlike Edge and Hyper-v).
Yes and no (regarding anyone forcing me to use it) and let me explain myself.

I am a developer for several mobile platforms. Developing for Blackberry if I want to test my software I can use my own actual device or use their emulator for other devices. Blackberry has decided to use VMware for virtualization and load different images depending on the device you want to test against. No problem there. For developing for Jolla's mobile running SailfishOS unfortunately they use virtualbox, but not only for testing but also for developing. They have two images, one is used for compiling and the other for testing. I can do without the latter as I can test on my own device but I am FORCED to use at least the first image for compiling.

For HP's webOS there is no problem as they canceled the project, but when I developed for them there was only one image for the emulator running under virtualbox, but as I have an actual device there is no problem.

And then there was badaOS by Samsung (no longer exists) replaced by TizenOS they don't use virtualbox or VMware so no problem. Similarly with Android there is no virtualbox image.

So you see I am and I am not FORCED to use virtualbox.

Assuming I disable Hyper-v can anyone inform us what other impact would have on our system?
Ankit43re

Post by Ankit43re »

Niko Maliakkas wrote:I have the same problem wih anniversary update. I get BSOD when starting any virtual machine (old/new). I uninstalled and reistalled, problem continues. I even started a DOS vm, with the same blue screen (no time to scan the QR provided...)
Same problem here. Updated Windows 10 a week ago. PC crashes every time I try to start any VirtualBox OS. Tried reinstalling VirtualBox and delete and create new Virtual OS. Still crashes.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you disable Hyper-v then you'll be no worse off than you are on previous versions of Windows which don't include that feature, e.g. Win7-64 Pro.