Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Broke VirtualBox?

Post by BillG »

I have a system which works like some of these, so I have been doing a few tests to see what I can reproduce.

The system is a dual-boot Windows 10 config on a Dell Vostro 430, one to run Hyper-V and the other Virtualbox. Both have been upgraded to version 1607 and work fine.

To test what happens to VirtualBox if Hyper-V is enabled I enabled it on the system which runs VirtualBox. I set hypervisorlaunchtype to Off and, as I expected everything worked fine as before. This was the expected result because I have previously run VirtualBox on machines with Hyper-V installed without problems as long as the hypervisor does not load.

I then set it to Auto and restarted so that Hyper-V was active (ie with the hypervisor loaded). Starting a vm from scratch gave the usual message about the machine not being able to start, as it should. The only unexpected result I had was trying to start a vm which was in a saved state. That did cause a problem on the host, but not a crash. It gave a "Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to restart" message and rebooted successfully.
Bill
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Rob68 wrote:I was able to get Virtual Box and my VM working again.

One other thing I didn’t mention before... I'm running 2 boot configurations, and I had one with Hyper-V disabled according to the steps on this site:
Unable to post link.... Scott Hanselman's blog:
Switch easily between VirtualBox and Hyper-V with a BCDEdit boot Entry in Windows 8.1

However, after the anniversary update, I noticed that both boot configurations were named “Windows 10”. Also, when running bcdedit, I noticed that both boot configurations had the setting
hypervisorlaunchtype Auto

So, I went back to bcdedit and did the following:

bcdedit /set {current} description “No Hyper-V”
and
bcdedit /set {current} hypervisorlaunchtype off

Now, I'm able to select the No Hyper-V boot configuration and Virtual Box is working again.
It is normal behavior for an upgrade (or a reinstall) to reset the description field to the default name. You can still set it to boot into one system or the other, even if they have the same name. The loader uses the unique identifier, not the description.
Bill
Basil_Fawlty

Post by Basil_Fawlty »

I had the same problem. Everything was working fine in Windows 10, but Virtualbox quit working after the Anniversary Update. The program wouldn't even start. Installed the latest version 5.1.2. Virtualbox would start, but when I started a VM, my PC would crash with the message: Stop Error - System Service Exception.

I had all the Hyper V components installed EXCEPT Hyper-V Hypervisor. I had virtualization enabled in the BIOS. All of this was needed to get Virtualbox running in Windows 10. But had problems with the Anniversary Update.

Then I noticed something after upgrading to Virtualbox 5.1.2: I was only getting 32-bit options. No 64-bit options.

Here's how I solved the problem:
I turned off virtualization in the BIOS, and rebooted.
Then I turn virtualization back on in the BIOS and rebooted.
Then I was able to get the 64-bit option.
Now all my VMs work fine in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. I had to do this on both my laptop and desktop.

Hope this helps some of you get your VMs working in Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
niccofyren

Post by niccofyren »

Basil_Fawlty wrote: Then I noticed something after upgrading to Virtualbox 5.1.2: I was only getting 32-bit options. No 64-bit options.

Here's how I solved the problem:
I turned off virtualization in the BIOS, and rebooted.
Then I turn virtualization back on in the BIOS and rebooted.
Then I was able to get the 64-bit option.
Just registered to say that this method also helped fixed my issues after upgrading from windows 10 to windows 10 anniversary edition. I was getting the same "VT-x not available" error messages. Upgrading or installing VirtualBox did not work. the same for enabling/disabling the Hyper V feature in windows.
vthakkar

Post by vthakkar »

It looks like Microsoft has introduced nested virtualization in hyper-v in this anniversary update and apparently, it can only support Hyper-v as the host based hypervisor - not any 3rd party hypervisor like virtualbox. Look at this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtua ... de/nesting

Also, there are some functional limitations mentioned below and the following seems to be most important

Functional limitations
Nested virtualization is designed to run Hyper-V within a Hyper-V virtual machine. 3rd party virtualization applications are not supported and likely to fail in Hyper-V VMs.
gabrielnhrs

Post by gabrielnhrs »

I am having this issue when opening a session, after aniversary win 10 update

"RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912(rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of virtualBox...."

I have tryed uninstal and install again, the versions 5.1.4, 5.1.4, 5.0.26...
How can I uninstall completly the VirtualBox to be able to do a new clear instalation?
I cant find the virtualBox in windows 10 control painel (Add/remove programs)

wainting for help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That question does not seem to be related to the above discussion. Please open a new topic to discuss your problem, if you can't find an answer by searching.
pipol

Post by pipol »

Same problem. I tried to update VB to 5.1.4 on win 10 1607 64bit, now i do not have it anywhere. Please help
shadowless

Post by shadowless »

This fix worked for me...

I had both VirtualBox 5.1 and HyperV installed on my Win 10 machine although HyperV disabled or in "off" state. I simply turned HyperV back on, rebooted the machine, turned HyperV back off, rebooted machine then Virtual box started operating normally again. Below are the scripts I used..

Script to turn if on...

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto
shutdown /r /t 0

Script to turn it off.....

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
shutdown /r /t 0

I hope this helps someone out there.
marciof

Post by marciof »

Just signed up to say that shadowless' solution worked for me.
Pimol
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Linux, OsX

Post by Pimol »

marciof wrote:Just signed up to say that shadowless' solution worked for me.
Me too.

I wonder if it will be a solution for the use of VirtualBox with Hyper-V enabled, or if there is a technical reason why you will never do

P.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hyper-V permanently takes over VT-x and doesn't let anyone else use it. Yes, there is a technical issue; it's called Microsoft.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scgms1

Post by scgms1 »

I had the same problem when Windows updated to version 1607. Clicking on the VirtualBox program wouldn't open the program. Trying to install the latest update of 5.1.6 was met with an error that the files that needed to be removed were not available and the program failed to install. I went and downloaded the version that I had when Windows updated to version 1607 and clicked repair. I was then able to install 5.1.6. Once I had a program to open, as others had mentioned, I was met with a PC that shut down with a BSOD. Turning off Hyper-V got VirtualBox going again. If this was the only issue I had I probably wouldn't have posted a 'me too' post.

Quickbooks 2010 worked with version 1511, even though QB 2010 doesn't support Win10. Updated to 1607 and QB 2010 doesn't work. Aw, it's only money - updated to QB 2016...

Yahoo mail balked with the newer version of IE 11 that installed with 1607 (Microsoft wants you to use Edge) and wants me to use a modern browser. Yahoo doesn't like Edge much better as the formatting is off along with other odd quirks. It works well with Firefox. Sigh...
Marco99

Post by Marco99 »

Hello

I have a similar problem, I tried the solutions proposed here but they did not work in my case.

After installation of Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Win 10 ver. 1607), my Virtual Machines cannot start anymore.
The following messages are shown when I try to start a VM:

supHardenedWinVerifyProcess failed with
VERR_LDRVI_IMAGE_HASH_MISMATCH:(rc=-22929)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where: supR3HardNtChildPurify what: 5 VERR_LDRVI_IMAGE_HASH_MISMATCH (-22929) - Image hash mismatch.

And:

Apertura di una sessione per la Macchina Virtuale Virtual_XP_Office non riuscita.
The virtual machine 'Virtual_XP_Office' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\cmarco\VirtualBox VMs\Virtual_XP_Office\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
Codice 'uscita: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente: MachineWrap
Interfaccia: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

Host System:
CPU Intel Core i3-4170, 16 GB RAM, SSD Hard drive
Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, build 10.0.14393

What I tried so far:
- I uninstalled VirtualBox and reinstalled;
- I installed latest VirtualBox version 5.1.6, and also tried test version 5.1.7
- I disabled Hyped-V in Windows as suggested in this thread
- I disabled and enabled Intel-VT in CPU settings
- I also tried to create new VMs. Also the new VMs do not start and show the same error message, regardless of the OS specified when creating them.

I usually work with Virtual Machines with Windows 7 and XP as guest OS.

I hope someone can help, as I cannot use my VMs now..
Thank you so much in advance
OmaSteak

Post by OmaSteak »

My Windows 10 host updated yesterday to the new "anniversary update" and this AM, VB would not start. Thanks to the information posted here, I was informed about disabling Hyper-V and then upgrading to the latest version of VB along with associated extensions pack. Since I'm doing this post from inside my existing Windows XP guest, I'm very grateful to see this forum had a solution available for users like myself. Thanks to all.
OmaSteak

PS, as an FYI for the less tech savvy VB users like myself, here's what I did to get VB working again:

I opened Windows 10 System Configuration on the host PC and under the Services tab, I unchecked HVHost and further down the listing all 8 items starting with "Hyper-V". Then rebooted Windows 10. After the reboot, downloaded and installed current 5.1.6 version of VB along with the 5.1.6 guest extensions pack. After the VB install, this 32 bit Windows XP guest started and operates as it had before the Windows 10 anniversary update.