Intermittently not saving machine state

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DaveJ61

Intermittently not saving machine state

Post by DaveJ61 »

Hi,
I have read the viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78606&p=367752#p367752 thread with interest and then noted that the person snackiesmores has not posted back for a couple of weeks.

I'm having the same situation and have been for a few months now. With each new version of VB, I thought this problem might get solved. I have read many, many other threads where people were having the same problem but the threads suddenly ended without any resolution. Maybe people just gave up.
My PC is running Windows 10, with Linux Mint 17.3 Guest and also Virtualbox 5.1.2 r108956.
At first, I thought this was due to another program such as my SyncBackPro which I use for backups and syncing. However, I have now disabled this (despite it only running once a day) but the problem persists. Similarly, it does not happen all the time and seems to have no reason for doing what it does, that I can think of.

I have just done some investigation of my own and what I have done is have a folder open where the .sav file is saved. Because a .sav file was there, the saved state returned as expected and then the .sav file was deleted, which I suspect is the correct behaviour. Next, I selected to save the machine state and closed down the VM. When the save status/dialog box started, I noted that a .sav file was created with 0 bytes size in the same directory, however, this then disappeared after the VM had gone from screen. I started the VM again, and there was no saved stated. My dev software also complained that another instance had my code open, but luckily I can force this. On one occasion I had a heck of a job restoring my git repository back to normality, something I shouldn't have to do and I was lucky that I did not save any work.

Here are a couple of screen grabs showing an aborted save and this time with what seems to be a full .sav file in the directory. It is sometimes a zero byte file.

folder showing the .sav files (state save snapshots)
folder showing the .sav files (state save snapshots)
VB1.JPG (39.07 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Showing the aborted saved state in the VB application.
Showing the aborted saved state in the VB application.
VB2.JPG (61.1 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Here is the latest log file as well:--
VBox.log
VB log file
(110.87 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
I have just done some more diagnosis and I have just witnessed that it appeared to save a machine state but on starting the machine, it had not saved the state at all. The .sav file is still there and has not been deleted, the save being aborted. So eventually, the directory starts filling up with 700Kb .sav files. Also, I am not sure, but it appears that my development application WingIDE Pro seems to be having a problem with VB saved states, however, it should not do as the saves are done on a bit level, not file level.

If some could help try and diagnose this problem, I would be very grateful. I can run other tests and provide logs if required.
Last edited by DaveJ61 on 28. Jul 2016, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Intermittently not saving machine state

Post by socratis »

Please attach the files locally. Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites, including myself.
Especially when you try to go (I went via a throw-away VM) and the first thing you see is a Firefox warning about the invalidity of the SSL certificate.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DaveJ61

Re: Intermittently not saving machine state

Post by DaveJ61 »

Great thanks. I didn't even see the upload file. The certificate is just that it is self-signed.
Anyway, I have updated my post complete with the uploads..