[SOLVED]Problem installing VB on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rale

[SOLVED]Problem installing VB on Windows 10

Post by rale »

I cannot install VB on Windows 10 if "Host-Only adapter" is check for installation.
If it is unchecked installation is OK, but i cannot also add Host-Only networks from VB preferences.
I read a lot about this bug, but i cannot find solution. Any idea?

When i try to add adapter from host-only networks, i got this error message:

Querying NetCfgInstanceId failed (0x00000002).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
HostNetworkInterfaceWrap
Last edited by rale on 4. Aug 2016, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem installing VB on Windows 10

Post by mpack »

Did you use "Run as administrator"? Are you allowed to install device drivers on this PC?

p.s. You should avoid speculating about bugs until you have evidence, or even know what a bug is. It's a bit like saying to your Doctor, "I have a cough, is this because you're an incompetant simpleton"? Not the sort of comment best designed to elicit a positive response.
rale

Post by rale »

Sorry for "bug" I mean issue and this is probably issue of Windows 10, because everything is working on Win 7 and 8.
Yes I Disable driver signature enforcement, turn of AV and firewall even UAC. Run as administrator. Still installation stuck on about 90% when try to install this driver.
There are couple of cmd flashing and then report a fatal error.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Is there any indication of network activity on the Windows taskbar while this is going on?

When I've had something similar in the past (not with Windows 10), I would see a new network icon on the task. If I hovered over it I'd see it was hunting for a connection - which is obviously never going to succeed when VBox isn't even installed yet. Usually this would eventually time out if I left it long enough, but if I was impatient I could right click and disable the new network icon. The VirtualBox installation would then instantly complete. I would then go into device manager and re-enable the VirtualBox Host Only Adapter.

p.s. VirtualBox on Windows hosts uses the standard Windows installer, MSI. During installation MSI is running, not VirtualBox. Of course, a bit of VirtualBox - the host only driver, begins to run the instant it is installed - presumably because it's a plug and play driver. It's intentional behaviour, it's only the timing which is odd, so I have no idea whether that constitutes a bug or not.
rale

Post by rale »

Problem solved with reinstall of windows 10.