Can not install guest additions!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Salty-san

Can not install guest additions!

Post by Salty-san »

I am hosting VB on Windows 7. I installed it and the add-on pack just fine but I can't install the Guest Additions thing at all, gives error on install and does not finish. I already made a VM and everything too so all looks to be in order. I am not sure if it's because of how my Windows is configured or the install went wrong or something.

I wanted to have the shared folder functionality. Shared clipboard and drag drop functionality does not work either, and I am not sure if those are connected to guest additions either. I could really use some help. I have the install log for what went wrong. Used all the .exe installers after I unpacked the ISO.

(1) 0 - ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_d30cc90b0c1ad8e7\VBoxGuest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_d30cc90b0c1ad8e7\VBoxGuest.inf'.
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_d30cc90b0c1ad8e7\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_d30cc90b0c1ad8e7\vboxguest.inf'.
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_d30cc90b0c1ad8e7\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_d30cc90b0c1ad8e7\vboxguest.inf'.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Can not install guest additions!

Post by Perryg »

Where exactly are you installing the guest additions? Host or guest?

Guest additions are to be installed in the guest.
Salty-san

Post by Salty-san »

Perryg wrote:Where exactly are you installing the guest additions? Host or guest?

Guest additions are to be installed in the guest.
DERP! Oh I see...I guess that explains why they are an ISO image too lol. Thanks for letting me know. I will try now and edit for result!

Ok, the installation was successful in the guest, a Windows XP, however I still don't see the connection between the two computers being made through the folder I wanted to share after I added shared.

I must admit I am a bit confused on how this works. I can understand installing from the guest, but then what about Transient share folders? Those only work if I install it for each VM then? ;/...Also clipboard and drag drop still don't work. I wonder if that's a limitation of Win XP however.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

We have now entered the realm of Windows so I will leave this to others here that actually use Windows, but I can say everything you need to know about how this works is in the users manual and explained in detail.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

The best solution for Windows host and guest is to use a host only adapter in the guest (so that the host and guest are in the same network) and use Windows file sharing between host and guest ( as you would between a Win7 and an XP machine on a physical network).
Bill
Salty-san

Post by Salty-san »

BillG wrote:The best solution for Windows host and guest is to use a host only adapter in the guest (so that the host and guest are in the same network) and use Windows file sharing between host and guest ( as you would between a Win7 and an XP machine on a physical network).
Ok so how do I use this host adapter then? As in where to download, or is it already in or what? Problem is I can't make any kind of contact from the guest VM to anything, not even Internet, that's the problem.

I also think I forgot to mention, but not even the USB flash drive isn't detected (and I installed that) so that would have been the easiest way to transfer, yet it just doesn't show. Also why doesn't clipboard/drag-drop work either? It just feels like there's a lot of things that went wrong for no discernible reason. Any ideas how I can check?

I am going to go over the manual again, it's just there was a lot there to work through and I wanted to get straight into it.