VirtualBox installation directory

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wolfrose

VirtualBox installation directory

Post by wolfrose »

Hello,

Today I got a copy of Oracle VirtualBox 5.0 and wanted to install it on my windows 10 64-bit system.

I didn't work, because of the network driver, after changing network options it fails to start and also in the running account it shows a black window with a message saying that "no bootlaoder".

So, now I'm watching a tutorial video on YouTube and want to know about points before I install it:

1. If I installed the Oracle VirtualBox in another disk other than C:, is that a problem? I have M.2 SSD for as C: OS disk, and HDD for my second storage. Today when I wanted to copy the program folder to one of the HDD, it didn't copy. And worked when I chose to copy the folder to the main OS disk. So, is it necessary to install the program on the OS disk as well?

This is my first question now, and leaving the other questions while I install and set the program.

Thank you,
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox installation directory

Post by scottgus1 »

You typically can't move installed programs from one disk to another in Windows just by copying the fiels, because there's lots of registry settings made, too, and the registry settings will all be broken. You need to uninstall the program from where it is and reinstall it where you want it using the installer.

Virtualbox itself takes up only a couple hundred megabytes, probably not going to be much of an impact on your M2. But you can install Virtualbox on the other drive if you really want to.

And Virtualbox can be on one drive while the guests can be on another drive, or many drives, as you desire. There's a setting in Preferences for choosing the default drive and folder for new guests, and version 5.1 is supposed to have a guest-location chooser page in the New Guest wizard.

Think of Virtualbox like you would if you had MS Word. You install Word on your C drive using the default location the installer picks. You can put your Word documents anywhere you want. Same thing with Virtualbox. the program goes on C and the guests can be anywhere.

BTW, "no bootlaoder" isn't a Virtualbox error message, even when spelled right. :) Virtualbox does say "System Halted - No Bootable Medium found" when the guest starts but there's no OS to boot from. If you are getting this then Virtualbox is working, at least regarding trying to boot an OS. You just don't have an OS to boot. You need to get an installer CD or ISO from a legitimate source - Microsoft has evaluation copies of Windows you can try for a few months, and Linux is free.
wolfrose

Post by wolfrose »

I don't know what to say :) It has been almost 7 years, I think I forgot to reply to you for any reason I can't remember.

But I want to thank you for your reply.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem! I probably have a few orphan topics lying about, too. :D