Need help joining client to server on Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bankai

Need help joining client to server on Virtualbox

Post by bankai »

Hi,

I'm having a problem joining me client to my server in VB. The server is Win 2012 and the client is Win 10 Pro, I successfully created a domain but when I try to join the client I get the "domain not found error".

When I run ipconfig I don't see anything listed under the DNS suffix tab and I cannot figure out the issue I'm having.

I'm think VB has it's own DHCP running that's interfering with this. I changed the network to Host only and I still cannot figure out the issue, both computers are able to ping each other.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Need help joining client to server on Virtualbox

Post by BillG »

Not enough information. What is the client and where is it? What network is it connected to? How does it get its network config?
Bill
bankai

Post by bankai »

Not enough information. What is the client and where is it? What network is it connected to? How does it get its network config?

Windows 10 pro is the client, windows 2012 server is the host.

I run VB on my laptop thru a wifi connection.

I have 2 trial OS installed in Virtualbox and I'm trying to set up a domain and learn active directory and so forth.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

The best way to set up a test domain of vms is to put all the domain machines in the same internal virtual network. After that the setup is exactly the same as with physical machines on a physical network. (In other words it is a Windows Active Directory matter, not a VirtualBox matter).

If you do not run DHCP on the server you will need to configure the client with an IP in the same subnet as the DC and set the client to use the DC's IP address for DNS.
Bill
bankai

Post by bankai »

Okay, I got two machines connected and joined to a domain, how do I get internet on my network from my HOST COMPUTER with wifi?

Server is 192.168.1.100
No default gateway
Loopback address 127.0.0.1

Client is 192.168.1.101
no default gateway
dns server is the SERVER IP address

I'm new at this sir so forgive me for being new.

I set the Network settings to Bridged adapter ALLOW VMS

I have a quick question, for internet access I need DNS and DHCP and Active Directory DS and Certificates right? I just wanna understand the basics...

thanks
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

As I said in the post above yours, the best way is to put the vms in an internal virtual network, not bridged. Is your host on a home network behind a router? (I presume it is if you can use bridged mode).

It would be a good idea to have a look at a guide to setting up a domain on a physical network. Setting it up using virtuals is almost identical.

If you have installed the server as a domain controller you already have Active Directory and DNS. DHCP and certificates are optional. It is not a good idea to use the host as your network router. I would use a vm running a firewall/router device like pfSense. Set it up just like a physical network behind a NAT router. The "public" side of the router device is bridged to your home network and gets its config from DHCP on that network. The "private" side is the default gateway of your internal (domain) network.

Internet
|
Public IP
Physical router
|
192.168.1.x (bridged)
pfsense
192.168.44.1 dg blank (internal)
|
DC
192.168.44.11 dg 192.168.44.1
|
AD client
192.168.44.21 dg 192.168.44.1 dns 192.168.44.11

You may need to set the DNS on your DC to forward to a public DNS service so that it can resolve URLs for the client machine. The client machine must use the DC for DNS so that AD to work properly. Do not give it a public IP for DNS, not even as a secondary.

Almost all of this post has nothing to do with VirtualBox really. It is the basic setup for a domain behind an Internet router.
Bill