Linux Mint Persistent USB Boot (still paused system)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pavlinka

Linux Mint Persistent USB Boot (still paused system)

Post by Pavlinka »

Hello,

USB HW: "linuxmint-17.3-mate-32bit.iso" Persistent Mode ((using software "YUMI-2.0.2.3.exe"))
VirtualBox USB loaded using commands:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename C:\usbboot.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive2
When loading the system automatically paused (can not continue):

I set the USB drive as the first position:
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by mpack on 15. Jun 2016, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced offsite log URL with local zip attachment.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Linux Mint Persistent USB Boot (still paused system)

Post by Perryg »

Moved to correct host.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please in future provide logs as local zipped attachments. I will often refuse to click on an offsite link to what is usually an adware site.
00:00:33.217753 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=BLKCACHE_IOERR message="The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards"
Basically, it got an I/O error on what I guess is the USB drive. Possibly the USB drive is FAT formatted. And/or your user does not have permission for sector level access to that drive.

I hope you weren't trying to access the USB drive as a raw drive and a USB drive at the same time. That would either be blocked by the host OS, or it would corrupt the drive. Happily this seems unlikely, as the VM has only enabled USB 1.1 level support.
Pavlinka

Post by Pavlinka »

Yes disk is formatted to FAT32.

I understand what you wrote but I don't understand how to solve the problem...

What should I do ?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I gave you several options to consider, but I have no idea what your goals are, and without that I can't really suggest a solution.

Let's start at the beginning. Why are you using raw access to a USB drive at all? There are few sensible reasons to want this.
Pavlinka

Post by Pavlinka »

OK,

My main operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate. USB Linux Mint Live I use at work and on public computers.
I want to edit using VirtualBox Linux Mint Live add programs and test them...
(often I need to reset the system for test and VirtualBox is faster)
That's why I read Linux directly from the USB into VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, I understand that the end result will be a USB image, what I don't understand is why the VM needs to boot off one.

And incidentally, I assume that means that the USB stick is formatted as EXTx, not FAT32?

What did you do you resolve the permissions issues I mentioned. The log file error is VERR_ACCESS_DENIED, so that's what you need to fix.

Enabling raw access to Win7 / Win2k8 disks.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38914#p175089
Pavlinka

Post by Pavlinka »

I use a program "YUMI Multiboot USB Creator v2.0.2.3" And it only supports FAT32

Do I understand that the problem occurred due to the fact that the flash disks formatted to FAT32??
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If the filesystem is only being seen by the guest (it's what raw disk means) then no, FAT32 should not be a relevant factor for VirtualBox on the host. However Linux guests generally don't choose FAT32 as the filesystem for a boot drive, so I was simply puzzled that you assured me this was the case. I would assume that the USB stick actually contains an image of an EXTx disk. This should be easy to test: just view the drive using Windows File Explorer. Windows doesn't understand EXTx as standard, so it should show the drive as unformatted.

The host filesystem errors you need to fix probably have nothing to do with FAT32. I assume that you either don't have permission to access the drive at sector level - that's why I gave you the link to Win7+ disk permissions problems in my previous post - or there are actual hardware errors on the USB drive (try a different drive). Or both.
Pavlinka

Post by Pavlinka »

Thank you for your time, unfortunately my English is not the best.
And I can not understand what I specifically do to fix this...

You can write me specifically what should I do?

I made a video to clarify my problem:
http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/bnKrhhI7/file.html

Code: Select all

The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards.

ID chyby: 
BLKCACHE_IOERR
Závažnost: 
Nekritická chyba
PS: Linux Mint created using YUMI normally works on a laptop
Attachments
VBox.log
(70.3 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, I watched the video. Can you give me the text of the first error dialog box I see on the video? I need the text because I can't translate a frame in a video clip, but I want the original text in case the translation is incomplete.

I take back my earlier guess: it looks like you are indeed creating a FAT32 image on the USB stick.

To me it seems that the most likely problem is that the Linux image accesses illegal sector numbers on the drive - i.e. accesses sectors beyond the drive size, which makes me suspect that you have not tailored "usbboot.vmdk" correctly for the drive size required. I assume that "usbboot.vmdk" is a small descriptor text file. Can you zip it and post it here?
Pavlinka

Post by Pavlinka »

OK, Upload
Attachments
usbboot.zip
(493 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

The Vbox BIOS doesn't support USB booting, that's why you had to use raw disk access for the first part of the boot process.
But then your guest OS loads its USB drivers and expects the device to be connected to the USB port.
It is probably at this stage that your guest pauses.
It cannot be raw disk and USB connected to the guest at the same time.