No Sound in Windows XP Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
caveman

No Sound in Windows XP Guest

Post by caveman »

Hello All,

I am running Virtualbox 5.0.20 on Windows 7 (Host). The guest VM is Windows XP. I cannot get the sound working. Enable Audio is checked (ICH AC97).

Any help?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No Sound in Windows XP Guest

Post by mpack »

Check that it isn't muted inside the guest, and of course check that sounds work on the host.

I use audio in XP guests myself, so it definitely works. It has worked for years.
caveman

Post by caveman »

Audio in host works. System > Sound and Audio Devices shows "No Audio Device". Printscreen is attached below.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.82 KiB) Viewed 6863 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager. Do you have any warning/errors in there? Can you try to fix them? Did you happen to enable audio after the installation of the VM?

Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Confused. If you have the volume set to zero, why do you expect to hear anything?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The audio slider is grayed out. I assume that "No Audio Device" is the important bit. The most obvious explanation is that no audio device has been enabled in the VM recipe.

@caveman: Time to see that VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here. It may save time if you also include the <vmname>.vbox file in the zip.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Right. Probably misconfigured VM. Of course with the information the OP didn't provide, it's anyone's guess.
caveman

Post by caveman »

So I went to device manager and saw that the sound driver is not installed. Went ahead to search for Realtek AC97 driver in the Internet. Everytime I execute the driver installer, midway through the installation it will just restart the guest VM and the driver is yet to be installed.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (75.3 KiB) Viewed 6832 times

Finally gave up and tried using another Windows XP iso and created a brand new VM. Sound works out of the box.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Genuine XP has AC'97 driver support out of the box, so I guess that means it wasn't a genuine copy of XP, more likely is was some kind of "tiny xp" or similar. And I assume that means your second "Windows XP iso" isn't genuine either. If you insist on using stolen and cracked software then I'm afraid we can't help you here.
 Edit:  Locking topic to prevent necro posting.