virtualbox bridged networking service on realtek virtual adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sebpolice

virtualbox bridged networking service on realtek virtual adapter

Post by Sebpolice »

Hi,

I'm running Virtualbox 5.0.20 on windows 10 to use multiple Vlans on the same wire so i have to use realtek software to create Realtek Virtual Network Adapters and my problem is on the main adapter (the real one) the virtualbox bridged networking service is available and i'm seeing the adapter on vbox but on my virtual adapter, the service is not available and when i try to add it, i see it on the list of available services to install but it does not install it then i cannot use my virtual network adapter in vbox

previously i was using it under window 7 with vbox 4.0.38 and it was working fine

Someone have an issue for me ??

thanks a lot in advance
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtualbox bridged networking service on realtek virtual adapter

Post by mpack »

Since the VM itself uses a virtual adapter, and don't see what's to be gained by mapping it to another virtual adapter. I don't see what the host virtual adapter can do that VirtualBox needs.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Sebpolice wrote:Hi,

I'm running Virtualbox 5.0.20 on windows 10 to use multiple Vlans on the same wire so i have to use realtek software to create Realtek Virtual Network Adapters and my problem is on the main adapter (the real one) the virtualbox bridged networking service is available and i'm seeing the adapter on vbox but on my virtual adapter, the service is not available and when i try to add it, i see it on the list of available services to install but it does not install it then i cannot use my virtual network adapter in vbox

previously i was using it under window 7 with vbox 4.0.38 and it was working fine

Someone have an issue for me ??

thanks a lot in advance
I think that you will find that it is a Windows 10 problem. I have seen many posts about virtual networks in the Windows 10 Technet forums.
Bill
Sebpolice

Post by Sebpolice »

mpack wrote:Since the VM itself uses a virtual adapter, and don't see what's to be gained by mapping it to another virtual adapter. I don't see what the host virtual adapter can do that VirtualBox needs.
because on the virtualbox virtual adapter, i cannot add a VLAN tag in windows
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sebpolice wrote:because on the virtualbox virtual adapter, i cannot add a VLAN tag in windows
Well, if that boils down to the feature I'm thinking of: sure you can, people have been doing it for years. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27924.