Windows 10 host on Laptop

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sirtow

Windows 10 host on Laptop

Post by Sirtow »

Hi all, im running VirtualBox 5.0.20 on Windows 10 laptop. Its lenovo w541 with 2 video cards, Intel 4600 and Nvidia Quatro.

Every time laptops tries to wake up from sleep, the Windows crashes with error somewhere in nvidia drivers. This started to happen once i installed VirtualBox.

I was wondering if anyone had similar experience or can give me any advice where to dig.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 host on Laptop

Post by mpack »

Are you saying that VirtualBox is running at the time? If not then it can't be a VirtualBox problem.

VirtualBox doesn't need direct access to host drivers for anything. The only host drivers it uses are its own, and those concern USB and networking. It's not uncommon to have graphics related crashes when 3D acceleration is used, but that can only apply when something is using them, i.e. when a VM is running, or more particularly when it is resuming.
Sirtow

Re: Windows 10 host on Laptop

Post by Sirtow »

Sorry for late reply, i did some more experiments and found a workaround. I'm running vm headless and it seems works fine. Whenever i need to access a console i use "Show" button to open it. I just need to make sure to close the console to avoid "sleeping" while it is running.

So mpack , to answer your question, i'm sure VirtualBox is running and causing the problem. Why it causes Windows to crash, i have no clue...

Thanks!