Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gnafse

Re: Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Post by gnafse »

michael wrote:If we can't quickly reproduce the problems then we will ask you to work out what is special about your set-up, possibly by finding other people with the same problem and putting heads together.
I thought that was precisely what we were doing here.

If not, I'm afraid you're placing too great demands on your users. This issue has been rearing its head for years, I've seen entries in this forum dating back to VirtualBox 3, with virtually identical problem descriptions.

If these forums aren't the right place to "finding other people with the same problem and putting heads together", my guess is that your answer really means "please use a different virtualization solution".
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

You quoted me slightly out of context there. The main request was to create bug reports which synthesise what is known about the different issues, with simple reproduction scenarios. The "putting heads together" bit was about further analysis in case the reproduction scenarios worked for you but not for us.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gnafse wrote:This issue has been rearing its head for years, I've seen entries in this forum dating back to VirtualBox 3, with virtually identical problem descriptions.
The symptoms of a disease might be similar, but the underlying cause can vary. For example there's no way you can reproduce this problem, while running Debian Jessie as a guest on OSX 10.11, using the aforementioned VirtualBox 3.x.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gilesc
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by gilesc »

I have this issue, in a Windows 7 64-bit guest, running on 64-bit Xubuntu (Virtualbox v5.0.20).

At times the guest appears to be automatically mouse clicking all over the place, a net result is that if the pointer moves anywhere near the start button, so many applications get launched that my guest runs out of memory and you either have to try to send a ACPI power down signal, or force power-off of the guest and start again.

Vbox logfile attached, problem occurred before resize event at 01:35:14, so not much to go on, but I suppose might be other information in the log file.
Attachments
VBox.log.txt
(113.76 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

I've been experiencing similar issues.
VB: v5.0.20
Guest Additions:
Host:Ubuntu 15.1 64bit
System Memory: 16GB, maximum allocated to Guests
Guests: Win 7 pro 32bit, and Win 10 pro 64bit
Symptoms: In Win 7pro sometimes clicking on Start menu will launch dozens of applications simultaneously. Reboot is the only recourse.
In Win 10 pro, after about 1 hour, Mouse left button click no longer works, in applications or the OS. Can't scroll, can't drag Application or OS dialog boxes around the desktop. Reboot fixes issue temporarily.
Right mouse button works fine in either Guest OS. Mouse works fine in Ubuntu Host OS.
Attachments
Win7ProRB-2016-06-11-20-40-30.log
Win7Pro Guest Log
(112.21 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

And due to file attachment limits had to reply once more with Win10 pro guest log, zip format.
Attachments
Win10pro-2016-06-10-08-37-48.log.zip
Win10Pro Guest Log
(26.72 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
DBarker

Post by DBarker »

Aha..this looks like the problem I'm having as well. Had a hard time finding a post about it. I am on v5.0.20.

Very frustrating, things work for 15-20 minutes. Then, when hovering over menu items on apps, they are automatically selected. This is especially bad when you happened to over over "Shut Down!".

Glad to have some idea where the problem is.
DBarker

Post by DBarker »

Is this going to be fixed in the next release?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

DBarker wrote:Is this going to be fixed in the next release?
Probably not. I asked for more information, a usable reproduction scenario and a proper bug report above and either no one was able to do that or no one was sufficiently interested. We can't promise that it would get fixed even then, or even guess how good the chances are, but if that does not happen it greatly (possibly further) reduces those chances.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

The day job has kept me ultra busy. Just had a chance to revisit this.
So just this evening on my Win7pro Guest, after about hour, I can't move or resize the File Explorer window. However, that does not mean the mouse button is not responding. I can double left mouse click on the File Explorer Window and it maximizes. I launch Google Chrome and can same behavior - no moving the browser window, no resize but I can double left mouse click and maximize/minimize the window.

More details, when left mouse click on the Windows start menu, the OS does seem confused about mouse left click since after scrolling the cursor over the available apps, multiple instances of a random app are launched.

This behavior can be repeated on my Win10pro VM (installed on same laptop).

For both VM's a reboot temporarily fixes the problem. Sometimes I can go for more than hour before I see the behavior.

Version 5.0.22 r108108, Installed latest ExtPack and Guest Additions. I can't be absolutely sure but believe the issues started after upgrade to v5.0.20.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Hello, all.
Wanted to report experienced the same issue this morning after upgrading to VB 5.0.24.(made sure to uninstall VB extensions, then re-install VB extensions for 5.024, then made sure to re-install Guest Additions for 5.0.24)
Behavior: While in Windows File Explorer, user is able to select a folder using the mouse left button. However, user cannot open the folder by double left mouse clicking. The user can open the folder once highlighted by the mouse, by hitting the Enter key. Following reboot, same behavior. Cannot be repeated reliably. Behavior manifests itself after some random time the OS is booted (for example all day yesterday did work in the Guest OS and did not experience the issue once.)

One thing I noted looking at the attached log file, is VB reports the host OS is ubuntu 14.04 when I'm running ubuntu 15.04 (I upgraded 6months ago to 15.04 from from 14.04). Probably not related.
00:00:00.448257 Package type: LINUX_64BITS_UBUNTU_14_04
I do want to be helpful. Let me know what other data I should submit.

thank you.
Attachments
Win10pro-2016-07-05-11-22-29.log.zip
Win10Pro Guest Log
(20.73 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Afraid that I don't actually have time to work on this just now, so I will just drop a couple of questions, but I will probably not be able to really follow up on them. Does disabling drag and drop on that machine make a difference? And I understand that rebooting the guest temporarily fixes the issue. Can you find anything else which fixes it without rebooting?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

And which version did you actually upgrade from originally? Does reverting to the old Additions version<1> make a difference? Does this happen with a new virtual machine?

<1> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Hello all, just experienced the bug again after about 45 min of use in the Guest OS (Win10pro).
Same behavior as mentioned in my previous post.
Also, I think much earlier in this thread I discussed inability to move windows for applications, etc. I checked for this problem just now. I cannot drag windows around the screen. E.g. in Windows file explorer, I can use the left mouse button to bring the file window in focus, but I can't drag. I tried an experiment. I used Alt-space, then M to invoke the keyboard move feature. However, that fails also, i.e. the arrow keys do not move the file window around the screen.
Hope this helps.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

All, I disabled "Drag n Drop" under User Interface for the Win10pro VM. Booted up and worked in various apps without incident for about 2 hours. Continuing the test now with it re-enabled. Will advise.