Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kvbuser

Re: Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Post by kvbuser »

Update, after re-enabling Drag n Drop worked in the Guest OS (Win10pro) using various apps for the better part of a day with no incident. Following day worked in the Guest OS and after a couple of hours same behavior with left mouse button occurred.
Today, I'm disabling drag n drop, and will work in the Guest OS for awhile. Will advise.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Ok, this morning after only 15min use in the Guest OS Win10Pro, the left mouse button no longer allowed moving app windows, drill down into file folders, and or using the scroll bar within apps. This was with Drag n Drop disabled. At the time two instances of file explorer were open, MS Word and MS PowerPoint and SolidWorks 2016 x64bit. Rebooting has resolved the issue for now. I will continue to work in the Guest OS for this latest Login session and advise if I can repeat the behavior.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

All, another update on this topic.

Today in both GuesOS VMs (Win7pro and Win10Pro).
Same behavior in Win10pro, i.e. working for awhile in MS Word and then all of a sudden I can't drag the scroll bar using the left mouse button, nor drag the application window around on the desktop.
The behavior in Win7pro is more severe in that using the left mouse button to access the Start Programs icon, launches many applications simultaneously, leaving no choice but to reboot the system.

All these symptoms appear to be independent of whatever apps I'm using at the time. The behavior is repeatable but I can't initiate it, i.e. it occurs at random times.

I've decided to revert to VB5.0.16 see if the issues go away.
Wayne@qp.com

Post by Wayne@qp.com »

Same problem on MACOSX Host, Version 5.0.24 r108355

OK after a restart for a while then reoccurs.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Stopping and restarting the VBoxTray process in the guest should have the same effect as the restart. As a mainly Linux user I can't give you too much detail about how to do that, sorry, so hoping you will know.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Update.
Recanted on reverting to 5.0.16 after noting 5.1 on the street.
Did a clean uninstall of 5.0.24.
Installed 5.1, and its proper associated Ext. Pack and Guest Add.

First day following install of 5.1
Guest W10pro. For most of the first day no problems. MS Office applications, SolidWorks, etc. Then around 4pm left mouse button problem appeared. Shut down and switched to W7pro VM.
Guest W7pro. Booted up, clicked on "start" menu icon to launch MS Word, doing so multiple apps launched. You left mouse click on the start icon, release left mouse button to allow the menu of apps to appear, but Its weird to watch....like a flicker effect. The menu of apps never pops up. And of course with about 15 apps launched simultaneously, the system grinds to a halt and you must reboot.

Data Points: the left mouse button launching multiple apps in W7pro after clicking on the "start" menu item, does not show up in W10pro. And the inability to drag App windows and drag scroll bars in W10pro does not show up in W7pro.

Maybe relevant: W7pro is 32bit, W10pro is 64bit.

I'm reverting to 5.0.16 today. See if these problems go away.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

When the problems appear, does terminating the process "VBoxTray" help? You will want to restart it of course to have some of the Guest Additions features like the shared clipboard or automatic screen resizing available, but if that helps, then hopefully the problems will not reappear straight away.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Copy that. Will try stop/restart the vbox tray service if behavior returns. Already reverted to VB 5.0.16 and working in the Guest W10pro. Will advise.
Jorquito

Post by Jorquito »

Newbie here.
Hi, I just want to report and confirm kvbuser´s telling. About flickering with 3D-Extension.
Windows 7 64bit guest with 4 GB RAM, full screen mode, starting bigger apps serveral time. Here it is Visual Studio 13 CE.
Switching to Windows mode the issue does not reappear. Back to full screen it comes back.
Mouse behaviour is alright.
This problem is not vital for me. Just for information.
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

Update on this issue. Day job has kept me busy, just now got a chance to post status. More than a week ago reverted to 5.0.16r05871. Clean uninstall, uninstalled guest extensions ...the works.

Installed 5.0.16r05871, made sure to install correct corresponding versions of extensions and guest additions. Win10Pro and Win7pro Guests rock solid. No display issues and no erratic left mouse button issues.

Running under 5.0.16r05871, I noted 2d and 3d acceleration were NOT enabled. I believe when running 5.0.18 or higher, I enabled 2d and 3d acceleration. I did so based on a recommendation this would fix a problem when operating in scaled mode, as I often need to work with two screens. Not being familiar with interpeting VB logs perhaps the log files I uploaded to this thread can be reviewed to confirm if 2d and 3d acceleration were enabled when I was using 5.0.16 and higher versions through 5.1.

2d and 3d acceleration may be unrelated to this issue. But after more than a week of use, I think this confirms there is a problem starting with v5.0.18 or higher, at least for my h/w and OS configuration.

Some h/w specs for my system.
Vizio CN15-A5
mem: 16GB
Proc: Intel Core i7-3610QM cpu @2.3HGz x 8
Graphics: Intel Ivybridge Mobile

Hope this helps.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Win10pro Guest 7-29-16 VB 5.0.16
(22.67 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
kvbuser

Post by kvbuser »

All, short update. Reverted to v5.0.16 r105871.

Still rock solid. No issues for Win7pro or Win10pro guest VMs.
jjStinger72

Post by jjStinger72 »

Same here, i can almost replicate it at will... i use a lot of keyboard short cuts, it almost always occurs during a copy paste action for me. copy some text with ctrl-c, click the mouse into the location i want to paste in, and i'll see the host CPU usage (all 4) jump to 50%. I'll try the kill the tray process, also uninstalling the guest extentions, and let you know. If that doesn't work, i'll try the revert back to 5.0.16. adding my logs here in the hopes that it'll help.

my VBox Guest, Win 7 32bit, fairly clean install, Office 2007, and my pureBasic dev environment.

host sytem...

Code: Select all

;Linux Mint 18 - Cinnamon 3.0.7
;
;uname -a
;Linux J-LINUX 4.4.0-43-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 12 13:48:03 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
;
;lshw -short
; H/W path               Device      Class          Description
; =============================================================
;                                    system         K30AD_M31AD_M51AD (All)
; /0                                 bus            K30AD_M31AD_M51AD_M32AD
; /0/0                               memory         64KiB BIOS
; /0/1                               memory         
; /0/1/0                             memory         8GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
; /0/39                              memory         System Memory
; /0/39/0                            memory         DIMM [empty]
; /0/3d                              memory         256KiB L1 cache
; /0/3e                              memory         1MiB L2 cache
; /0/3f                              memory         6MiB L3 cache
; /0/43                              processor      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz
; /0/2                               memory         
; /0/3                               memory         
; /0/100                             bridge         4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller
; /0/100/1                           bridge         Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller
; /0/100/1/0                         display        GK104 [GeForce GTX 760 OEM]
; /0/4/0.0.0             /dev/sda    disk           1TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA1
Quick update 11/1 -
removed guest extensions, and i worked for a day without freeze up. Re-installed guest extensions, and i'm working without issue, and have been for a few days.
Attachments
Logs.tar.bz2
(68.69 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
jsbisa

Post by jsbisa »

I am having the same problem with my mouse, but I am using a a MAC OS host. Since the problem might occur several times a day or may not occur of weeks, it is difficult to know in which version this started. Here is a link to this same issue on the MAC OS forum ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=78942 ). I had upgraded from version 4.3.x (exact version unknown, but it would have a higher version) to 5.0.24 and started having issues. I know people have looked at change logs based on the Mac OS or Windows host, but since this started around the same time on multiple hosts... maybe that gives you more to go on. I never did try downgrading after concern was expressed that it might not work with my upgraded OS.

I am now running High Sierra and Virtualbox 5.1.28 and the problem persists. About to move to 5.1.32 and keeping my fingers crossed that it helps.
jsbisa

Post by jsbisa »

On another thread chpeterson reported that disabling Drag and Drop on the Devices menu fixed it for him. I disabled it several weeks ago and I am no longer having an issue either.
Thanks chpeterson!