Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wi11iamr

Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Post by wi11iamr »

After upgrading to the latest version, I now experience very erratic behaviour with my mouse inside my Windows 10 guest.

I can only describe it as if there is a key or button that is seen as "stuck" (aka pressed), because when I for example try to select anything with my mouse, it behaves as if I have double-clicked.
Another scenario is if within any application I click on the menu bar, such as "File", and want to then select an item in this list, I cannot navigate my mouse down through this list because as soon as I move my mouse downwards, the first item in the list is select (aka "clicked"), even though I didn't press anything.

Once this behaviour starts, it is the same within all applications inside the guest OS.
My only resolution is to restart my guest OS.

I have also updated the latest Guest Additions to 5.0.16, but the problem persist even in this version.

This is a severely frustrating matter and so I'd *really* appreciate if someone can help me resolve ;-)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Erratic Mouse Behaviour after v5.0.18 upgrade

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

wi11iamr wrote:After upgrading to the latest version
Sadly a useless statement. Which version did you upgrade to, and just as importantly, which version did you upgrade from?

The topic title indicates that you upgraded to 5.0.18, but as of this writing the latest version is 5.0.20.
oleonard
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by oleonard »

I had the same problem yesterday after upgrading to version 5.0.18 r106667, and it continues today after upgrading to version 5.0.20 r106931. Windows 7 host, Debian 8.4 guest. It's as if the mouse click isn't registering where I see the mouse cursor.
Attachments
Debian-2016-04-29-08-37-22.zip
Log file
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
wi11iamr

Post by wi11iamr »

Hi there,

My apologies for not clarifying the version in more detail - I wasn't aware of the additional release.
As per the title, I upgraded to, and am now running v5.0.18 r106667

The problem persists, and attached VBox.log from today's session.
VBox.zip
(27.31 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't see any mistakes in the VM configuration. I would look for anything eating up a lot of CPU or I/O time on the host, perhaps let the host keep more of its RAM (you are currently assigning 12GB of of 14GB free - 32GB installed).
wi11iamr

Post by wi11iamr »

Thanks mpack for the inputs.

In terms of Processor & I/O usage, when I access the host environment (while the guest is still running) everything is just fine - no lagging or funniness with the mouse etc. The problem only occurs within the guest environment.
I am running tools like Visual Studio in the guest OS, and that's why I gave the guest so much RAM.
I've since upgraded to 5.0.20 (Guest Additions as well) and then also reduced the RAM for my guest environment to 8Gb - I'll be playing around today to see if the problem persists.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

wi11iamr wrote: In terms of Processor & I/O usage, when I access the host environment (while the guest is still running) everything is just fine - no lagging or funniness with the mouse etc. The problem only occurs within the guest environment.
That isn't necessarily a telling point. A VM inevitably has a higher latencty which may make it more susceptical to host OS lag.
wi11iamr wrote: I am running tools like Visual Studio in the guest OS, and that's why I gave the guest so much RAM.
Does Visual Studio really need excessive amounts of RAM? I can't imagine why it would. VS is very nice, but fundamentally it's just a text editor that can make calls to a bunch of offline tools. I'm still on VS2008 myself, and it certainly is quite happy with moderate RAM.
wi11iamr

Post by wi11iamr »

Thanks mpack, when I setup my VM I just thought to give it as much RAM as possible - didn't really approach it with any sense of "correctness/necessity".
Thanks again for the insights - I'm playing around now and will tweak these environment settings if I run into the problem again.
I think the telling point for me though is that using the same VM's prior to my 5.0.18 upgrade, I didn't experience this problem, so while my VM config may not be optimal, or indeed excessive, the mouse issue didn't appear before I upgraded.
anyways, I've gone to v5.0.20 now and also tweaked the configs- so here's hoping... :)
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Did I just miss it or is it still a secret which version VirtualBox was upgraded from?
wi11iamr

Post by wi11iamr »

Apologies michaln, I didn't mention the version I upgraded from - it was v5.0.10
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Ah, interesting, thanks for the information. As far as I know, for Windows guests there haven't been any relevant changes since then, or at least not intentional ones.

It would be really helpful if you could pinpoint which release exactly changed the mouse behavior (5.0.12/14/16/18).
wi11iamr

Post by wi11iamr »

michaln, I'm not entirely sure I'll find the time to test among each of the versions, but I'll put it on my ToDo list and if the problem persists in v5.0.20 then I'll understandably increase it's priority :wink:
Blueloop

Post by Blueloop »

I have exactly the same effect here. After strart of the VM (Windows 7 inside) i can use it for a while and then suddenly i have the effekt that i can not navigate dropdown menues anymore, as allways the first item will be activated if the mouse passes over.
It seams like mouse up/down is inverted or stuck.

Version 5.0.20 r106931
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

So which was the last working version? Since we don't see the problem, we need to know exactly when it started happening.

In other words: Until someone tells us exactly which version stopped working, no one will look into this.