VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
iarsov

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR

Post by iarsov »

Hello,

I am having troubles with VirtualBox 5.0.14.

I keep getting the following error: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).
The OS is Windows 10 x64bit - Enterprise
Memory: 16gb
CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ
VT-x is enabled in BIOS also confirmed with Intel Processor Identification Utility
Hyper-v is not configured

Any ideas why VirtualBox doesn't recognize VT-x settings ?

Regards
Ivica Arsov
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX

Post by socratis »

See if the steps here can help you: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62339
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
danci1973

Post by danci1973 »

Since yesterday I had the same problem. The machine is a dual Xeon x5670 and VT-x / VT-d are both enabled in BIOS (double checked). It's running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

The only change I'm aware of was Avast Antivirus update, so I uninstalled it, rebooted the computer and after that, VirtualBox was working again.

After that, just to double check, I re-installed Avast and yes, it broke VirtualBox.

Since running Windows without anti-virus is not a good idea, I tried to install Avast with only the bare essentials (I was especially suspicious of that 'Secure Virtual Machines' option), but even so it breaks VirtualBox.

So I guess I'm loooking for a new antivirus for Windows...
iarsov

Post by iarsov »

Yes,

I had avast anti-virus installed, but anyway I re-installed the Windows (cuz it was fresh install) and the problem got fixed.

I would assume that Avast was the issue.

Thank you!
Ivica
MDHollinger

Post by MDHollinger »

I got this working finally.

In Avast, under the Troubleshooting Options page
Uncheck Enable Hardware-Assisted Virtualization.

Seems Avast must be running something in the background to create their "Sandbox" feature, and it locks up the virtualization features from being used by VirtualBox. Once I Unchecked that box and rebooted, my VBox VMs start right up!
danci1973

Post by danci1973 »

MDHollinger wrote: In Avast, under the Troubleshooting Options page

Seems Avast must be running something in the background to create their "Sandbox" feature, and it locks up the virtualization features from being used by VirtualBox. Once I Unchecked that box and rebooted, my VBox VMs start right up!
Thank you, that did the trick on my machine as well. I did have to reboot, before VirtualBox worked again, even though Avast didn't require it.
virtual boyx

Post by virtual boyx »

MDHollinger wrote:I got this working finally.

In Avast, under the Troubleshooting Options page

Seriously, thank you so much!

I spent whole day installing program to check vt-x, checking vt-x, installing reinstalling other programs, contacting my notebook support, finding how to enable the virtualization menu in BIOS, etc.

I was ready to give up but today I chanced upon this thread and tried your solution, and it works!

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!! AVAST SO DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:
link to avast site -> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=182778.0

Why did they need to turn on this option by default and not ask user? Average user might not need virtualization but I need that for working. I was really stressed yesterday, imagine if I was on tight deadline and this happen.

Sorry for the rant.
danci1973

Post by danci1973 »

I just got a reply from Avast today (I reported a bug) - apparently a fix has been released recently.

I don't quite understand whether the fix came from Avast (currently mine shows version 11.1.2253, release date 2.2.2016 which is not new enough) or from Microsoft as my machine received a bunch of updates from MS yesterday.

I went ahead an re-enabled Hardware-Assisted Virtualization, rebooted the machine and lo-and-behold - it works!