Smart Card reader with Host and Guest Win 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bmight

Smart Card reader with Host and Guest Win 10

Post by bmight »

Hello,

I have a host as Win 10 and Guest as Win 10. Running VirtualBox Version 5.0.14 r105127. I also have a SCR3310 Smart Card Reader. I cant seem to get it to mount the reader to the guest win 10.

The Error I get

Code: Select all

USB device 'SCM Microsystems SCR33xx v2.0 USB SC Reader' with UUID {04bc62fd-86c9-4e21-8854-ebb3ac7379fd} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: 
E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: 
HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: 
IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: 
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
With a filter active, VB drivers seem to show up on the host just fine but nothing happens on the guest when I load guest first and then plug it in. If I try to manually click the smart card reader it just gives me the error above.

Things I have tired:
  • Filters, So many attempts at filters
    VirtualBox Extension Pack (with and without)
    This guide: jaanus dot com/how-to-get-a-usb-smart-card-reader-to-work-in-virtualbox-guest/ (Guess I cant post urls yet)
    USB 2.0 vs 3.0 ports
    So much googling
    Guest CD is installed (Latest version with 5.0.14)
    Reinstalling everything from scratch
    Windows 10 fully updated (Both Host and guest)
I am now kind of stuck at what to try next and haven't seen many posts for Version 5. Suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Smart Card reader with Host and Guest Win 10

Post by socratis »

Follow the steps below. If there is a failure, please state which step failed:
  1. Make sure that the Extension Pack is installed on the host. The same version as VirtualBox.
  2. Make sure that USB 2.0 is enabled in your VM settings.
  3. Create a USB filter in your guest settings while the device is plugged in the host. Delete all values except Name, VendorID and ProductID. Check also http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids to make sure that you have the numbers correct.
  4. Unplug the device.
  5. Start your guest (the one that you applied the filter to). Let it start completely. Log in if you have to.
  6. Plug your device. The filter should capture it and pass control to your guest. You might get a "New hardware found" wizard on the host, that's normal.
  7. If the device shows up in your host and is not captured by the filter, either the filter is incorrect, or there might be a problem with your filter installation.
  8. Shut down the VM and now zip and post the log.
  9. Is the VirtualBox USB Driver installed in your host? Make sure your host didn't silently reject non-MS drivers (Google for Driver Signature Enforcement).
  10. Post the output of the following commands:
    VBoxManage list usbhost
    VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ranchupanchu

Post by ranchupanchu »

Hello bmight,

It seems I have the same issue.
I would please like to ask if your issue was resolved ?

Thanks,
Ranchu
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't think he'll answer you. He hasn't visited since. Most probably he followed my advice? Plus, you have a dedicated thread that you and I are trying to resolve the issue, right? Let's stay focused. And the detailed list, has since evolved in a series of articles, USB basics and troubleshooting. But you're already read them, right? Don't answer me here, we'll continue in your thread...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jasterix

Post by jasterix »

Removing extra information from the filter fixed the problem for me.