Cannot install extension pack on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
markreyn

Cannot install extension pack on Windows 10

Post by markreyn »

I am trying to install the latest Vbox extension pack. I successfully install VirtualBox itself, but
every time I try to install the extension pack I get VERR_ACCESS_DENIED, cannot rename.

I even enabled the hidden administrator account, logged out of all other accounts, logged in as
administrator, put the extension pack file in c:\ and it still failed. I have tried both Open...
from the file manager, and preferences->extensions inside VBox.

Any suggestions?
Jason Whiteman

Re: Cannot install extension pack on Windows 10

Post by Jason Whiteman »

I am also not able to install the extension pack in Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Tried both running the extension pack from an admin CMD prompt and also by going through the GUI (run as administrator) Preferences->Extebsuibs

Error msg:

The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the temporary directory to the final one: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-_-inst-3296' -> 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack')
rcExit=1.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface:
IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Well, what do the permissions look like in "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/" and its subfolders?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
markreyn

Post by markreyn »

I changed the permission on the oracle folder to grant "full control" to every user
and applied it recursively to all subfolders.

Did not make a bit of difference.

Besides, virtualbox itself installed just fine when I was running as an ordinary user.
I'm logged in as administrator.

Also this is a local FS, not a network FS.

Do I really need to be SYSTEM to get this installed?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Well, I did a search for "VERR_ACCESS_DENIED extension pack site:forums.virtualbox.org". I couldn't find anything that definitely resolves the problem, but run that query and go through the results. Something in there might fix it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Andrzej

Post by Andrzej »

I got same problem. I was trying everything any sugestions?
ABaston

Post by ABaston »

Experienced the same problem with a brand new PC with Windows 10 and McAfee Antivirus.
Found ticket #15062 which was closed by disabling antivirus software.
Tried by temporarily disable scan function of antivirus software and the installation went well.
Hope this helps.
FlavioGCMelo

Post by FlavioGCMelo »

I was having the same problem installing extensions pack, I disabled the McAfee real-time scanning and finally managed to install. :D
SCEV

Post by SCEV »

Disabling McAfee real-time scan also worked for me. Thanks!
ntsarb

Post by ntsarb »

FlavioGCMelo wrote:I was having the same problem installing extensions pack, I disabled the McAfee real-time scanning and finally managed to install. :D
I had the same issue. Stopping temporarily McAfee real-time scanning allowed me to install the extensions pack.

Thank you!
ninadpchaudhari

Post by ninadpchaudhari »

Yup, disabling antivirus works.