misnamed file in .inf

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
johnd126

misnamed file in .inf

Post by johnd126 »

I'm trying to install 5.0.10 on Windows 10 and it keeps failing and backing out when installing the Virtual network driver.

I think the issue is that the NetBoxFlt.inf is looking to install VBoxNetFltNobj.dll but the file in the .msi is actually VBoxNetFltNobj.sys.

I've tried extracting the files and manually editing the .inf but Windows then complains about the hash for the file in the catalog being incorrect.

Any clue on how to get around this? I'll downgrade back to Win7 if i can't get Virtualbox with networking running!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: misnamed file in .inf

Post by scottgus1 »

I downloaded and installed 5.0.10 on Windows 10 just this weekend (11/28/2015) and it worked fine. Try a re-download. Also, don't forget to right-click the installer exe and "Run As Administrator".

One other quick thought, try uninstalling Virtualbox first if you had it installed on an earlier version. Maybe something from the old install is interfering.

The installer is actually a Microsoft program. If you re-download and run intoe the same problem, do some quick googling to find out how to turn on logging when running an installer, then run the installer again. If it fails while logging, and especially shows the naming error, post you issue and the log on the Bugtracker. The developers will probably fix it very quickly.
johnd126

Re: misnamed file in .inf

Post by johnd126 »

I downloaded a fresh copy of the installer just to be sure and ran into the same rollback issue at the same point in the install. Your suggesting that I look into MsiExec logging was a good one. I got this error in the log:
NetLwf is not installed currently
NetLwf will be installed ...
Installing 1 INF files ...
Installing INF file "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf\VBoxNetLwf.inf" ...
Install failed, hr (0x80070005)
VBoxNetCfgWinInstallComponent failed, hr (0x80070005)
Installation failed, rolling back installation set ...
CustomAction ca_InstallNetLwf returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 22:38:05: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 22:38:05: Rollback. Rolling back action:
Rollback: ca_InstallNetLwf
Rollback: ca_RollbackInstallNetLwf
Uninstalling NetLwf
NetLwf is not installed currently
This isn't the same .inf that I mentioned in my original post but it is another networking .inf.
johnd126

Re: misnamed file in .inf [RESOLVED]

Post by johnd126 »

It appears that the issue was with Kaspersky Anti virus. I did disable it before installing VB but apparently that wasn't enough. I removed the Kaspersky completely and VB 10 installed with no issue and the virtual network driver works fine.