5.0.10 upgrade causes system crash on guest startup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
migr

5.0.10 upgrade causes system crash on guest startup

Post by migr »

Hi guys

I'm not one to make posts like this as I like to figure things out myself and fix them, but I'm completely stumped.

I'm running virtualbox on windows server 2012 R2 datacentre edition. I only use virtualbox to host a xubuntu client which has been running perfectly for over a year running 24/7.

I've done upgrades of virtualbox as they come up with no issue in the past, but since updating to virtualbox 5.0.10, every time I try to boot the xubuntu guest, it crashes the entire windows server which triggers a reset.

I tried downgrading to several older versions of virtualbox but they wont even attempt to start the guest now with an error stating there is no usb2 support.

Has anyone got any idea as to why since upgrading to 5.0.10, I cant start the xubuntu guest anymore, and more to the point, why it crashes my entire physical machine?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Migr
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 5.0.10 upgrade causes system crash on guest startup

Post by mpack »

If you revert to an older version of VirtualBox then you need to revert the extension pack too, otherwise you will have no USB2 (or USB3) support.
migr

Post by migr »

thanks mpack, the extension packs didn't occur to me. The only older extension pack I could find was for version 4.3.34, so I installed version v4.3.34 of virtualbox and the extension pack for it and the vm is up and running again. Just means ill be reluctant to upgrade virtualbox from this version in the future.

I'm still curious as to why version 5.0.10 crashes my entire server when trying to boot the VM that's worked in all previous versions. I mean I get that it could kill the virtual box application, but to kill the host machine means something more sinister is going on.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You didn't provide a log file, so I'm not going to speculate on the crash.
Neil2727

Post by Neil2727 »

I'm getting the exact some a problem on a Windows Server 2012. I upgraded to 5.10.104061 and now the entire VM crashes and shutdowns. Sometimes is when I are starting the image but other times if restarts after it has been started. It seems to only crash when I use Bridge Networking as it doesn't crash when using Host-Only Adapter. I have reverted to 5.0.2 r102096 but am having the same problem. Any thoughts?
Attachments
VBox.log
(77.09 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Neil2727

Post by Neil2727 »

Here is the the VBoxStartup log file if it helps.
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(17.35 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The only thing the OP says is that he has a "system crash" (no details). The only thing you say is that you have the "same problem". Neither report is good enough if you want support. I.e. describe the system crash, give the exact BSOD code.

That said, there is an existing discussion going on here that you might want to keep an eye on.
Neil2727

Post by Neil2727 »

The VM just restarts itself. The only common thing is that this happens after an image is started in Virtual Box. I have tried creating a new image and opening an existing image and it is the same result. Sometimes the problem happens in the middle of starting the image, other 5-10 minutes after it has been started. The timing is different but every time the I will have no response from the VM until it is done rebooting.

I grabbed a picture of the error with my phone but the error message is below:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL(MsLbfoProvider.sys)
Attachments
Error screen shot.jpg
Error screen shot.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks. So you're getting a crash in the MsLbfoProvider.sys driver, a host driver which is not part of VirtualBox.

That driver seems to be Hyper-v related. Do you have Hyper-v tools installed in this host?

See also the following: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rovidersys
TripleD

Post by TripleD »

We experienced a similar issue. We uninstalled virtualbox 5.0.10 and installed 4.3.34 (and the matching extensions). We then recreated the HR92U014 VM from HCM-920-UPD-014.OVA. It is now up and running as expected. To me this means there was something wrong with the virtualbox 5.0.10 program.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I'm not sure why people even bother posting here. There's so little information that the whole thing is nearly useless. "I upgraded to 5.0.10" -- from what version? What's the host OS? What exactly is the problem? If something crashes, please provide crash dumps. Always provide VBox.log files. Kudos to Neil 2727 for providing one -- there's a lot of diagnostic information in there.

Most importantly, the forum is really bad for tracking problems. So please create a ticket on the bugtracker and once we have enough information, the problem will be fixed. It's easy for multiple users to add information to the ticket and it's much more productive for developers to work with.
TripleD

Post by TripleD »

Yesterday I entered a very detailed description in in this thread and attached the logs, but was unable to post it because I was a new member. This morning I opened an Oracle SR with all the details and the logs. (SR 3-11806586251) At the same time, I uninstalled 5.0.10 and installed 4.3.34. I re-created the VM from the .OVA and it's been running fine ever since. I received this comment from Oracle Support to my SR. "We have seen similar issues occur on Vbox 5.0.x. At this time the only version of Vbox is 4.3."
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

TripleD, are you sure the SR number is correct? I cannot find it in the system.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

TripleD wrote:Yesterday I entered a very detailed description in in this thread and attached the logs, but was unable to post it because I was a new member…
FWIW, the only restriction as a new member is you can't post links.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
jeffcourteau
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: W2K12R2, Linux CentOS, FreeBSD, appliances, etc...

Post by jeffcourteau »

I am bumping this cause I just encountered it. And solved it!

I have a fresh Windows 2012 R2 standard install fully updated, VibrtualBox 5.1.18 r114002, I was trying to boot a FreeNAS VM on my Windows host, and at some point, BAM! BSOD with mslbfoprovider.sys.

After doing some research, I found out that mslbfoprovider.sys seems to be related to all Load Balancing and FailOver functionalities on Windows. At first I thought "WTH, I am not using any of these clustering or failover features! How can this be?" My Googling came up with some Hyper-V related stuff, but the role is not installed on my server, it is totally plain, no role installed at all. Then I realized I am using NIC teaming, which uses the LBFO provider for guess what? Load balancing traffic over the teamed NICs.

The VM I booted was using a network adapter bridged to the "Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver", A.K.A. the team I just setup in Windows Server 2012 R2, out of a Quad port Intel Pro1000VT. I tried booting it with the network adapter bridged to a non-teamed NIC on the same adapter and same server, no BSOD.

I thought I would give a try at dismantling the team, then install Intel ProSET software to set up NIC teaming. And it seems to be working fine so far! My VM has booted without a glitch. Of course, mslbfoprovider.sys is not even loaded anymore, so no chance that it may cause another BSOD.

If you want to get the proper version of the Intel Driver:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05504.html

Good to note that My Intel Pro1000VT has been installed on a Windows 2012 R2 (supposed to be unsupported) using the Windows 2008 driver, after disabling driver signature enforcement and modifying the driver's INF file to make it believe it is a Win2K12R2 driver. And the Intel ProSET app accepted to install anyway. You just need to have the modified driver installed at first.

Hope this can help other folks struggling with MS sh**ty NIC teaming under VirtualBox.

I completely cleared all Windows Teaming configuration until it says "NIC Teaming: disabled" in the Server manager.