Cannot reliabley launch VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Adillo303

Cannot reliabley launch VM

Post by Adillo303 »

I was running an older version of VirtualBoc 4.?.? I am not sure at a customer site.

I got a call from my customer that the machine would not launch. It said trust error - Reinstall VirtualBox

I confirmed the complaint. When I reinstalled, which was unsuccessful. I then installed version 5.0.10.

Before I upgraded I had made a copy of all of the virtual machines. After the upgrade, I could not launch any of them.

If I copy my saved VM over the active one that I need to use, it launches correctly. It then says restoring machine. Everything works OK.

After I shut the machine down and relaunch. I get to a point where is says my copy of windows is not registered and loops there.

If I again copy and overwrite the active VM, it will launch one time.

Is there a way to fix this?

I apologize if I am light on details. I am an experienced tech, I am just very new to VM's. I will be thankful for any help that I can get.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot reliabley launch VM

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, so 5.0.10 will launch your guests once. So Virtualbox at least is now working again.

Is the issue that your guests will not start a second time, Virtualbox will not give you a running guest window? Or is the issue that you have a running guest window but your guests require re-activation?

There is a difference, so please be very specific. If you get a running Virtualbox window with a guest that asks for re-activation, then Virtualbox is working and you did not back up your guests properly.

You need to provide a log for one of the troubled guests - see Minimal information needed to be able to help