No 64-bit option for VirtualBox 5.0.10 for Windows Guests?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kontiki

No 64-bit option for VirtualBox 5.0.10 for Windows Guests?

Post by kontiki »

Hi there

I have always used 64-bit versions of Guest VMs, but because of a re-installation of Windows 10 (after originally updating from Win 8.1), I had to re-install VB as well & took the latest version VirtualBox 5.0.10 for Windows hosts x86/amd64.
As I went on to install some OS, I wanted to use the 64-bit version since my laptop also uses Win 10 64bit & I had used a 64-bit of this guest OS before. I was however surprised there was no option for 64-bit but only 32-bit, even for all Win & Linux, etc versions. Normally, in the drop-down selection list, 64-bit versions are offered.

I decided to remove it & used 5.0.8 instead. When I start the VM, though, I get an alert there is VirtualBox 5.0.10 update, but not sure whether to upgrade, because I have no idea what that means, based on the above stated problem.

What is right about my observation & what is the best way forward? The specific OS I installed for unrelated reasons & because it is probably not supported by VB was quite troublesome to install & get working, so I do not want to mess this up.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Kon Tiki
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No 64-bit option for VirtualBox 5.0.10 for Windows Guest

Post by mpack »

etremblay1965@hotmail.com

Post by etremblay1965@hotmail.com »

Hello,

I follow the instruction to install Virtual box on my new portable. It's working but i have only the 32bit available.

The bios option for virtualization is enable.
I don't have hyper-V in my Windows 10 (home version).

What's i can try to enabling the 64bit ?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If hardware virtualization is enabled on the host but you cannot install 64-bit guests, it means that VirtualBox cannot use hardware virtualization even though it is enabled. Usually that means that something else it using it already.

Hyper-V is often the culprit but if you are not using that then you will have to find out for yourself what it is.
Bill
EricT

Post by EricT »

Finally it's works !

I reinstall VB, run the installation program with "Run as administrator" and all is OK.

I don't understand why, I never receive error or warning on installation and I'm an administrator on my machine.

It's strange but I suppose windows 10 works differently under user with admin rights and administrator.

Thanks