Error at Start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Error at Start

Post by 4711 »

Hello
Iam new to Virtual Box, was told to use it for my project, but cannot start it.
Files attached, what can I do ?
thx
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

Re: Error at Start

Post by 4711 »

log file attached, last time it didnt work...
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(11.95 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You are having security hardening problems. See the sticky at the top of the Windows Hosts forum.

Basically, some programs can use a normal Windows function to inject themselves into other programs to allow cross functionality. This is what causes a theme crack to work in all the windows that appear, or Antivirus to read running programs, or online-meeting software to put into the windows their extra buttons, etc. Malware can do this too, and with a super-powerful program like Virtualbox punching holes in the security levels to get more than one OS to run on a PC at once, bad things can happen.

So Virtualbox checks to see if the program that wants to inject into Virtualbox is signed with an authenticity certificate. If it's not, Virtualbox won't start.

Some program distributors haven't signed their programs. If they haven't you need to ask them to distribute a signed version. Which ones to ask? Look in the logs for "supR3HardenedError", the end of the line is the unsigned program.

There's also a problem where some Windows Updates damaged the Windows authenticity certificate database, causing Virtualbox to not run because it couldn't authenticate core Windows programs. These will show up in the logs as "Lacks WinVerifyTrust" errors. Updates KB3004394, KB3045999, and KB3081320 have done this so far. Uninstall those updates.

Post by 4711 »

Hi
OK, I will reinstall Win7, can it do the updates ?
thx
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Reinstalling the OS is like killing a flea with a nuclear bomb. :) Just uninstall the updates involved and the unsigned programs shown in the log. If you have a theme crack running you can put the original uncracked Windows theme dll in the same folder Virtualbox is installed in, where Vboxmanage.exe is located. Then the theme crack should be allowed.

These changes have to be done on the host PC, by the way, not in the guests.

Post by 4711 »

Hi
I am new to Virtualbox and your descriptions are a bit confusing for me, I also have to reinstallt Win because of too many soft installed over last years.
So I think this will be the best way for me to start up clean, but should Win install all updates?
thx
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, a fresh start is a good idea for an older PC. Windows will want to do updates, but you need to be sure the updates that cause trouble for Virtualbox don't get installed. You will need to look at the KB numbers and see if the bad updates listed above are shown, then uncheck and hide them.

If they do slip by and get installed, they can be uninstalled later.

Post by 4711 »

Just to be shure that the system I would to create is working
I need an Dell Laptop (no intel lan card) a system running a Intel Lan Card to be used for Beckhoff TwinCat PLC Controll, to connect two Laptops together.
Hope this is goning to run with virtual box... :roll:
thx
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I searched "Beckhoff TwinCat PLC Control" and found it's real-time PLC & CNC controller software. This is very likely not going to run well under a virtual machine. Timing is everything on running a CNC (I run two) and running virtual is not consistent on timing.

If you're running a CNC or PLC you'd do better running on physical hardware.

Post by 4711 »

Hi
after a new install of windows 7 32bit the same error, without any updates.
thx
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(11.8 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
OTonn

Post by OTonn »

Hello 4711,
could you solve your Problem and could run Win 7 and Twincat on your VBox?
I'm using Win 7 and Twincat with VBox and it is working fine only with the last two Versions (5.0.10, 5.0.14) of VBox there are Problems with VT-x, so I will create a ticket for this issue today.