VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE after upgrading to Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Burn

VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE after upgrading to Windows 10

Post by Burn »

Hi,

I use VirtualBox a while already and it almost worked fine. But now it suddenly tells me, while trying to start any existing machine, the following error:
VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE
E_FAIL (0x80004005)

This usually happens if a second hypervisor is installed an active. Windows 10 brings integrated Hyper-V components with it but all those drivers and services are stopped and not used or activated by me.
Any idea what goes wrong? I use VirtualBox v5.0.10-104061 on Windows 10 x64 host.

Thnaks in advance.

Bjoern
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE after upgrading to Windows 10

Post by mpack »

Replace "usually" with "always".

You need to disable the Hyper-v service on the host if you want to be able to use VirtualBox. Make sure you do a full power down and reboot after that.
Burn

Post by Burn »

mpack wrote:Replace "usually" with "always".

You need to disable the Hyper-v service on the host if you want to be able to use VirtualBox. Make sure you do a full power down and reboot after that.
Hi,

As I wrote in my post no Hyper-V Driver or Service is running and in bcdedit no active hypervisor is shown. So what shall I deactivate?
I attached a screenshot of those services.

Regards from Germany,

Bjoern
Attachments
Hyper-V Drivers and Services
Hyper-V Drivers and Services
Hyper-V.png (40.24 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Did you do the full power down?

Also, stopped is not the same as disabled - at least not an XP host (I don't myself use Win10).

Something is using VT-x. You don't get that error message for any other reason. If it isn't Hyper-v then it's something else. VT-x is not a managed resource, so I don't know of any direct way to find out what "something else" is.
Burn

Post by Burn »

I googled for disabling Hyper-V and Window 10 Home even doesen't have the possibility to install or deactivate Hyper-V. So it must be something else. Since VirtualBox was running before I can only imagine that it has something to do with the Windows 10 upgrade itself. I don't have VMware or other simular programs installed.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Just to clarify something. I can run VirtualBox and VMWare Fusion guests at the same time on OSX hosts. I've never tried it on Linux or Windows hosts.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Burn

Post by Burn »

Any idea what else I can do? I still don't know why it doesn't work anymore after upgrading to Windows 10.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Burn

Post by Burn »

Here it is.
Attachments
VirtualBox-2015-11-22-16-05-33.zip
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

As Don mentioned, something has to be using VT-x…

Code: Select all

00:00:03.829534 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-5.0\src\VBox\VMM\VMMR3\VM.cpp(367) int __cdecl VMR3Create(unsigned int,const struct VMM2USERMETHODS *,void (__cdecl *)(struct UVM *,void *,int,const char *,unsigned int,const char *,const char *,char *),void *,int (__cdecl *)(struct UVM *,struct VM *,void *),void *,struct VM **,struct UVM **); rc=VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE
00:00:03.829550 VMSetError: VirtualBox can't operate in VMX root mode. Please close all other virtualization programs.
00:00:03.830078 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_FAIL (0x80004005) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={VT-x is being used by another hypervisor (VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE).
00:00:03.830109 VirtualBox can't operate in VMX root mode. Please close all other virtualization programs. (VERR_VMX_IN_VMX_ROOT_MODE)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
The usual culprits aside from Hyper-V are anti-virus, malware programs such as BitDefender. I suppose it could be a bad install of VirtualBox or update to Windows 10. You could try re-installing.
Burn

Post by Burn »

ok, with Windows 10 I had to upgrade Bitdefender antivirus to version 2016. After uninstalling that version VirtualBox works normal again. Till Bitdefender version 2015 I had no problem with it. I'll open a ticket for that behavior at Bitdefender.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I doubt they'll pay you any attention. AV companies always seem to assume that the entire resources of the PC are theirs to use. I mean, what else are PC's used for, except to run AV suites?
Burn

Post by Burn »

Then Bitdefender is maybe different :-). All my service requests were answered within a few days so far. When I talked about problems with their software they are very helpful and communicative. So let's see what they say.
Burn

Post by Burn »

Seems the problem is already solved :-)
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

If there is a solution it would be polite to share it with others in case they have the same problem.