Bridged network not working after upgrade from 4.x to 5.0.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
virtualrun

Bridged network not working after upgrade from 4.x to 5.0.10

Post by virtualrun »

Hi,

I just upgraded my VirtualBox from version 4.x (I think it was 4.3) to the current version, 5.0.10. Now my previously existing virtual machine does not start and gives the following error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS 64 Bit (DQP)-Klon.

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
My network settings are:
Attached To: Bridged Adapter,
Name: Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM (that's my ethernet adapter I use to connect to the network and internet)
Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
Promiscuous Mode: Allow All (I also tried "Deny", but that does not solve the issue)
Cable Connected

When I switch off the network adapter or switch to "NAT" or "NAT Network", I can start the VM. But with NAT unfortunately internet does not work from within the VM (this problem was there already with 4.x).

I already tried to uninstall VirtualBox and install it again, but the issue persists.
virtualrun

Re: Bridged network not working after upgrade from 4.x to 5.

Post by virtualrun »

I now uninstalled version 5 and installed 4.3 again - now it works as before. Still curious, why it does not work with version 5 or how to make it work. Host is Windows 8.1 and guest is Ubuntu 14.04.
G3rb

Post by G3rb »

I have the same problem with Linux mint 17.2 - Ubuntu based as OS Host. Any solutions ?
AlvinBunk

Post by AlvinBunk »

I get a COM error, but it has to do with using Bridged Adapter setting as described above.
When I use "Nat Network" I can start my VM.
It's interesting when I start my VM, with Bridged Adapter, it shows a progress or "0%" and then a pop-up dialog box showing "20%" appears, then I get this message:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu Sever 14.04.3 LTS.

The configuration constructor in main failed due to a COM error. Check the release log of the VM for further details. (VERR_MAIN_CONFIG_CONSTRUCTOR_COM_ERROR).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

My Host machine is Windows 10.
AlvinBunk

Post by AlvinBunk »

Ok, I think I might have a workaround.
Because of the problem of not being able to start the VM when using a Bridged Adapter, I decided to uninstall "VirtualBox-5.0.10-104061-Win.exe" and then install my old release of "VirtualBox-4.3.34-104062-Win.exe".

When I did this, there was no Bridged Adapter to choose from in the "Name" drop-down list. Even if I chose "Nat", there was no value in "Name" drop-down list. So I tried adding a service in my Network Adapter of Bridged Adapter using "Have Disk..." and pointing to "C;\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network..." and path to the "VBoxNetFlt.inf" file. However, this did not install anything. I tried this a couple of times and even rebooting, selecting different "inf" files.

Then I decided to uninstall "4.3.34" and re-install "5.0.10", and now the Bridged Adapter appears, and I'm able to start my VMs.

The curious thing about this it, I had version 5.0.10 running for a few weeks before I started seeing this not being able to start any of my VMs, so I'm not sure what happened to cause this problem? Maybe a Windows update - not certain? However, my suggestion might be to uninstall and then re-install and see if that works.
TeutonJon78
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by TeutonJon78 »

I know that Bridged Networking stopped working for me immediately after the W10 1511 update. NAT mode still works fine though.

I also noticed that my Ethernet network ports are named slightly different after the upgrade, so I think something changed during that update. It also fails in both Windows and Linux guests, so it's obviously not a guest problem, and I had it working on 5.0.10 before the upgrade as well.
virtualrun

Post by virtualrun »

I tried uninstalling 5.0.10 and installing it again, it did not help, I still got an error when trying to use bridged networking and could not boot my VM. (Though I did no try to reboot Windows in-between). Only uninstalling 5.0.10 and then installing 4.3.34 allowed me to use bridged networking again.
G3rb

Post by G3rb »

I had to remove completely virtualbox. Re-install the virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox 4.3.10. After that the bridge mode worked and I could update Virtualbox to the 4.3.28 version via apt repo.
LastWord
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP (64 bit), Kubuntu (64 bit)

Post by LastWord »

Test build 104375 (with filename VirtualBox-5.0.51-104375-Win.exe) solved the issue with bridged networking for me. See Ticket #14578 ("Unable to select network adaptor that has TCP/IP disabled.") for details.
I tested this build on Windows 10 host and it works.
YvesCross

Post by YvesCross »

I found a working solution with 5.0.14 without reinstalling 4.3.x
and without reinstalling 5.0.14 with parameter -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5

Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network Connections --> Local Area Connection (because my laptop use this network to connect to internet)
In Properties, I tried to uncheck/re-check VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver but it doesn't fix the bridge for me,
so I unchecked Trend Micro NDIS 6.0 Filter Driver (It was preinstalled on my laptop, but uninstalled and replaced by avast a few years ago).
As soon as I unchecked the old Trend Micro NDIS 6.0 Filter Driver, I was able to boot my VM with bridge network.

Hope it will help somebody (I spent at least 6 months to find this fix)
Yves