manually unistalling Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dgerbergss

manually unistalling Virtualbox

Post by dgerbergss »

Hey there!

I am was tring to upgrade from 1.6.0 to 1.6.2 when things went bad... I am now at the point were I can not uninstall, or repair the 1.6.0 and 1.6.2 will not install either. Has anyone manaully unistalled Virtualbox off of a Windows desktop (XP Pro SP3).

Any help would be greatly apperciated!!!
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Have you tried "system restore". This should get you back to your 1.6.0, and you can try a clean uninstall followed by install.
dgerbergss

Post by dgerbergss »

I actually have system restore turned off...
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

:o I know it is very flakey in what it restores, and slugs your machine by doing random I/O at times, but backing out this type of change is what it's quite good at. I hope that you have some DR recovery mechanism. I split my XP configs and keep the C partition fairly lean: only the OS and core products. I image this from time to time, so that I have a DR fallback. I advise likewise, otherwise it's a case of goodness how many MS and other product downloads, activations and reboots. Oh, Linux does get some things so right!

Have look for more guidelines but if I were you, I'd try to clean out the remnants of your 1.6. Dir VB*.* /s your Windows directory you'll find three drivers VBoxDrv.sys, VBoxTAP.sys, VBoxUSBMon.sys plus the DLLs in the VBox program directory that you'll need to uninstall, plus run a registry clean up after you've trashed the VBox program directory then reboot and try the install again.