Add data to created drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bj

Add data to created drive

Post by Bj »

VM installed fine and so did Plex Server. I am however stuck at populating a drive I created. How do I copy files to the drive so Plex will see them. I have several hours into this and I'm going nuts.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks, Bj
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Add data to created drive

Post by mpack »

Bj

Post by Bj »

Thanks for the reply. Most of what you are asking for I cannot really understand. I should however have left far more info that I did but I was so frustrated.

This whole thing is giving me a migraine. It should be alot easier than this. I get stuck at such a basic level.

I'll figure this out.

thanks, Bj
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Part of the problem is that you are posting in the wrong forum. I very much doubt your host is relevant given this problem description, but you have basically told me nothing else.

Start by telling me what the guest OS is. Then post a VM log file: With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Just curious, the Plex media server is available for OSX, Windows and Linux platforms. Why are you trying to use it in a guest?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox has a few ways to get files into a guest:

1. A network between host and guest. Virtualbox can put a virtual network card into the guest. If you choose the Guest OS template type correctly, Virtualbox will choose a network card the guest OS has built-in drivers for. See the help manual on Networking for the kinds of network Virtualbox can make. Host-only or Bridged will probably do for you. Then you share a holder on your host and look for the shared folder in your guest's Network PCs section.

2. Guest Additions Shared Folders. If there are Virtualbox Guest Additions for your guest OS, you can use the Guest Additions to connect any host folder to your guest as if there was a network present, You would look in your guest's Network PCs section for the \\vboxsvr PC. Under that is where your connected Guest Additions Shared Folders would be found.

3. If neither one or two are usable, use a host-supported ISO maker and pack your data into an ISO. For Windows hosts, ImgBurn is a good choice - free & works. (Mind their web page, they're heavily funded by Download Link advertisements - be sure you find the correct download link.) One the data is in the ISO, you attach the ISO to the guest's virtual CD drive and the guest will see the data as a CD.

1 & 2 also work for getting data out of the guest virtual drive. If you have to use 3 to get the data in, you'll have to use another guest with an OS you can make a network in or install Guest Additions on, and mount this un-networkable un-Guest-Addition-able guest's drive as a second drive in the networkable or Guest-Addition-compatible guest, then pass the data into the network. A Linux live-CD in the first guest's CD drive may work.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@bj,

First thing to do is calm down. frustration will not help you get through this. I have been using plex for years and a guest is a good way to keep everything backed up in case of an issue.

So first thing you need to tell us is what is the guest exactly.
Then I need to see the guests log file ( as an attachment ) Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.