centos7 on windows-10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
edwardsmarkf
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp-pro

centos7 on windows-10

Post by edwardsmarkf »

hello - i just installed the latest virtualbox (5.0.6) and am trying to install centos7.

i followed the same steps i used frequently when using centos6 on win-7/8. but now centos7 boots fine only the first time, but the second time it boots right to the grub prompt, which does not seem to accept any repair command i issue.

strangely enough, when i just do a minimal install, everything works fine and can reboot over and over. but when i try to also install gnome desktop, thats when the reboot trouble starts (have not tried KDE yet)

as far as my settings, i pretty much just accept all the defaults, especially the mount points. i do mount the centos7 ISO file as the IDE controller.

has anything changed with centos7 or the latest virtualbox that might cause this sort of behavior?
edwardsmarkf

Re: centos7 on windows-10

Post by edwardsmarkf »

removed
Last edited by edwardsmarkf on 7. Oct 2015, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
edwardsmarkf

Post by edwardsmarkf »

solution:

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic ... 47&t=47241

After install is done, dont click "reboot" but instead quit the installer with CTRL+ALT+F2 and :

chroot /mnt/sysimage ;
df 2>/dev/null | grep boot ; ## look for /boot
grub2-install --force —skip-fs-probe /dev/sda1 ; ## change "/sda1" to whatever your boot device is
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ;
edwardsmarkf

Post by edwardsmarkf »

hmmm now the original problem has disappeared and it boots normally with grub every time. so i guess now we just wait until this issue comes back to bite me.

the "variables" that seemed to affect it:
1) minimal installation vs installing gnome (odd but it appeared to be a factor)
2) manually installing grub via the ctrl-alt-f2 command at end

i did try removing virtualbox using revo-uninstaller and reinstalled it just to eliminate anything like that.

if (WHEN) this issue comes back, i will repost it.
eddiegi686

Post by eddiegi686 »

Did you try disabling the ISO on the Devices menu of Virtualbox? I found that with the ISO enabled using the Boot from Hard Disk option doesn't work properly with CentOS 7 64 bit.