VBox Crash on Host Shutdown!?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gasongasoff

VBox Crash on Host Shutdown!?

Post by gasongasoff »

Whenever I initiate start->power->shutdown on my Win10 Host, my VirtualBox VM immediately crashes with the following error:

Failed to set the global VirtualBox extra data for key GUI/Toolbar to value {}
Details: Callee RC: RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE 0x800706BA (0x800706BA)

Every time. Can't shut down windows without the VM crashing. Any ideas?
marc_jovi

Re: VBox Crash on Host Shutdown!?

Post by marc_jovi »

I'm trying to install VirtualBox 5.0.4 Oracle VM Extension Pack but it's impossible. Every time it crashes with the same error already posted by gasongasoff....

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance
Marc
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Minimum information needed for assistance.

I shouldn't have asked for logs.
Last edited by loukingjr on 6. Nov 2015, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
harry_g

Post by harry_g »

I'm getting the same error:
Failed to set the global VirtualBox extra data for key GUI/Toolbar to value {}.

Callee RC: RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE 0x800706BA (0x800706BA)
I'm using VirtualBox 5.03 with a Windows 10 64bit host and an Ubuntu 14.04 64bit guest.
Guest additions is installed on the guest.
I have 16GB or RAM available, and allocate 4GB to the guest.
Attachments
VBoxStartup.7z
VBox Logfile
(18.63 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

harry_g wrote:I'm using VirtualBox 5.03 with a Windows 10 64bit host and an Ubuntu 14.04 64bit guest.
Try VB 5.0.6. 5.0.3 was a test build.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

After you've updated to the latest and greatest as Lou said, would you mind posting the file "VirtualBox.xml" which is located (typically) in "C:\Users\<YourUsername>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
schraube08

Post by schraube08 »

I'm having the same problem - all I need to do is to start windows, next start VirtualBox and finally select start/shutdown in my main windows and I get the mentioned error message(s).

In my case I get multiple messages - one after the other - but always with identical details:
Callee RC:RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE 0x800706BA (0x800706BA)
The error messages are:
Der globale Extradata-Schlüssel GUI/Toolbar konnte nicht auf den Wert {} gesetzt werden.
Der globale Extradata-Schlüssel GUI/Statusbar konnte nicht auf den Wert {} gesetzt werden.
Der globale Extradata-Schlüssel GUI/SplitterSizes konnte nicht auf den Wert {196,1079} gesetzt werden.
Der globale Extradata-Schlüssel GUI/LastWindowPosition konnte nicht auf den Wert {1920,23,690,220,max} gesetzt werden.
Der globale Extradata-Schlüssel GUI/DetailsPageBoxes konnte nicht auf den Wert {general,system,preview,display,storage,audio,network,usb,sharedFolders,description} gesetzt werden.
Der globale Extradata-Schlüssel GUI/LastItemSelected konnte nicht auf den Wert {m=Windows7Prox64} gesetzt werden.
Here are details about my host machine:

# Intel Core i5-4590
# 16GB memory
# 750GB Samsung SSD
# Windows 8.1 pro

and I'm using VirtualBox 5.0.8 r103449 with installed ExtensionPack

I've attached all logfiles I've found - hope this helps to identify the problem.
Attachments
Logfiles+ErrorMessages.zip
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
InsidiousForce

Post by InsidiousForce »

Same here, Windows 10 Pro host with VirtualBox 5.0.8; Ubuntu 15.04 x64 running in guest. I run VirtualBox on its own virtual desktop, so I sometimes forget it's running and when I shut down Windows 10, I get the crash messages from VirtualBox. Afterward VM shows "Aborted" in VirtualBox. I'm attaching the Log though I don't see anything in there explicitly about the crash, the crash was at 10:46pm and the logs end at 10:02pm.

UPDATE: When getting my .xml file to add to this post, found another log that might be useful.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log.2.7z
Service log
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VirtualBox.7z
Virtualbox XML file
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
VBox_Logs.7z
(15.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I should have never asked for log files. Shutting down a host while a guest is running is no different than shutting down one's computer by pulling out the AC cord or removing the battery while it's running. No host OS is going to be able to gracefully shutdown a guest before it shuts down itself.

Other than the obvious which is to shutdown the guest first, the only solution would be to write a custom shutdown script which checks if a guest is running, shutting it down first then shutting down the host.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Maybe section 9.26 in the manual is being read in a way that is throwing them off? Manual says Virtualbox handles host suspend & resume (hibernate & wake up in Windows?) So folks might think host shutdown is handled too? (Which the manual doesn't specify, so I'd guess VB doesn't handle host shutdown, and a script is needed, as Lou says.)
schraube08

Post by schraube08 »

Just want to clarify: I'm getting the error messages without even starting a virtual machine! I only start Virtualbox and next select to shutdown my host windows.. so I don't think it has anything to do with a running virtual machine ....
double_G

Post by double_G »

I had the same problem here - I solved it by removing and reattaching all virtual hard disk drives. In my case the error occured when I copied a virtual machine from one pc to another.
InsidiousForce

Post by InsidiousForce »

loukingjr wrote:I should have never asked for log files. Shutting down a host while a guest is running is no different than shutting down one's computer by pulling out the AC cord or removing the battery while it's running. No host OS is going to be able to gracefully shutdown a guest before it shuts down itself.

Other than the obvious which is to shutdown the guest first, the only solution would be to write a custom shutdown script which checks if a guest is running, shutting it down first then shutting down the host.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
Currently, VirtualBox throws an error, the VM is aborted, and it prevents shutdown. Maybe it could throw an error, not abort the VM, and prevent shutdown. At least in Windows, where you can prevent shutdown.

Also, this used to work properly in previous versions of VirtualBox (well, it didn't abort the VM ever before this is new behavior). So it could also go back to its previous behavior of preventing shutdown while it's doing it's final cleanup.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7538 ... om-message
gasongasoff

Post by gasongasoff »

loukingjr wrote:I should have never asked for log files. Shutting down a host while a guest is running is no different than shutting down one's computer by pulling out the AC cord or removing the battery while it's running.
Are you new to computers? Start->power->shutdown allows the host to close applications and save files. Pulling out the AC cord cuts power and does not allow the OS to save files and can lead to corrupt files.
loukingjr wrote:No host OS is going to be able to gracefully shutdown a guest before it shuts down itself.
Have you used VMWare Workstation? VMWare automatically hibernates the guest OS when the host OS is going through shutdown. Also, guess what: Virtualbox would NEVER crash/terminate on a Windows 8.x host.
loukingjr wrote:Other than the obvious which is to shutdown the guest first, the only solution would be to write a custom shutdown script which checks if a guest is running, shutting it down first then shutting down the host.
Ridiculous. I don't know what's so "special" about virtualbox such that it is the only software application I've seen that auto-crashes when you initiate a host start/shutdown.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

@ InsidiousForce & gasongasoff…

Sorry, I was foolish enough to believe the behavior as described was normal and was conjecturing on a possible reason. I never bothered to actually check.

On my OSX 10.11.1 Host tested with mulitple guests, if I initiate a shutdown of my iMac, I first get the dialog message from VirtualBox asking if I want to "Power off the machine", "Send the shutdown signal" or "Save the machine state". Once I choose one then the Mac shuts down.

Sorry your machines are not working but based on your condescending remarks I have no desire to help.

Good Luck.

edit: FWIW, I can confirm there is a problem with shutting down a Windows 10 host while a guest is open.
Last edited by loukingjr on 23. Nov 2015, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.