Host-only adapter not working under Windows7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
prbp

Host-only adapter not working under Windows7

Post by prbp »

I had an Ubuntu virtual machine running correctly with VirtualBox 4.3.28 under my Windows7 64 bit machine with 2 network adapters:
- Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT)
- Adapter 2: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Host-only Adapter, 'VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter')

When I upgraded to VirtualBox 5.0.0, the host-only adapter stopped working. I get this error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu_14.04.

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
If I remove Adapter 2 (Host-Only adapter), everything works fine with Adapter 1. But with the host-only adapter, the virtual machine does not even start.
Deleting and recreating the host-only adapter did not solve the problem.
I tried going back to VirtualBox 4.3.28, but the host-only adapter device could not be created, so I went back to VirtualBox 5.
I tried the procedure from section 12.7.6 from the manual: uninstalling, removing INFCACHE.1, rebooting and reinstalling, and I still get the same error.
Upgrading to VirtualBox 5.0.2 resulted in the same error, and upgrading to VirtualBox 5.0.4 also.
I have a similar setup in another machine with Windows Vista 64 bits, which is working correctly with the host-only adapter.

Attached is the VBox.log file.

Any help is welcome.
Attachments
VBox-5.0.4.log
(41.08 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Host-only adapter not working under Windows7

Post by noteirak »

Looks like something went wrong during install. Try switching to the NDIS5 driver:
User Manual wrote: The user is able to choose between NDIS5 and NDIS6 host network filters drivers during the installation. This is realized via a command line parameter NETWORKTYPE. The NDIS6 driver is default for Windows Vista and later. For older Windows versions, the installer will automatically select the NDIS5 driver and this cannot be changed. For Windows Vista and later the user can force to install the (legacy) NDIS5 host network filter driver using NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5. For example, to install the NDIS5 driver on Windows 7, do

VirtualBox-installer.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
prbp

Post by prbp »

Forgot to say I also tried that and the result was the same error.
noteirak
Site Moderator

Post by noteirak »

Could you show a screenshot of the properties window of the Host-only interface from the Windows adapters list?
prbp

Post by prbp »

Here it is:
My Windows is in portuguese.
On the right side, I show the output of an "ipconfig /all" and "VBoxManage.exe list -l hostonlyifs" commands.
noteirak
Site Moderator

Post by noteirak »

You showed everything except the part that I asked, which is the properties of the adapter :) not the details, just the properties, with the list of installed protocols.
Take several screenshots if needed to capture the whole list.
prbp

Post by prbp »

Here they are:
I'm not sure this is all the properties you wanted.
There is something fishy with the IP address: there are 2 IP addresses listed. The 192.168.56.1 is listed, and keeps appearing, even if I delete it. If I ping both, the 192.168.56.1 does not answer, while the 192.168.188.1 does answer. Deleting and recreating the interface does not help. If I put 192.168.56.1 in the address, I get a 169 address that shows with "ipconfig /all".
noteirak
Site Moderator

Post by noteirak »

Well I'm out of ideas. There are known problems with NDIS6 and Windows 7 (also used for Host-Only), hence why I asked you to switch back to 5. I would still go back to it.
For the rest, I would delete the host-only interface created during install and recreate a new one after that, see if it makes any difference.
prbp

Post by prbp »

I tried again with "VirtualBox-5.0.4-102546-Win -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5" and it worked! :D
Thanks!
Maybe I did something wrong when I tried before.

There is still something that is not working: wireshark under the windows host cannot see the host-only adapter.
ranger6

Post by ranger6 »

Confirmation: running windows 7, virtualbox 5.0.4 (and .6); host-only adapter fails. Reinstall using NDIS5 as per this post: problem does not appear.
BarbaraFromBoston

Post by BarbaraFromBoston »

Thank you. GenyMotion was not starting up Android VMs through the host-adapter on my Win7 machine. Reinstalling VirtualBox 5.0.4 with NDIS5 as recommended got it up and running.
Smoepers

Post by Smoepers »

Just here to say that running installer with the NDIS5 network type also did it for me, using Windows 10 and VirtualBox 5.0.10

> VirtualBox-5.0.10-104061-Win.exe -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5
bellbush

Post by bellbush »

I had the same issue with Windows 10 1511

In the end I was able to solve it by changing the network adapter settings in the windows control panel.
There was a unchecked option named VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Network Driver.
After checking the checkbox and hitting OK, the (vagrant) VirtualBox started again.
bI'

Post by bI' »

bellbush wrote:I had the same issue with Windows 10 1511

In the end I was able to solve it by changing the network adapter settings in the windows control panel.
There was a unchecked option named VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Network Driver.
After checking the checkbox and hitting OK, the (vagrant) VirtualBox started again.

Also getting the same problem on both of my Windows machines. Updated to Virtual Box 5.10 and also After checking the checkbox and hitting OK, the (vagrant) VirtualBox started again.

This did the trick. Thanks for the advice!
Elaborate Ruse
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 1

Post by Elaborate Ruse »

I encountered a Windows 10 Pro x64 machine that was working with VirtualBox 5.0.x (less than .10). After a recent Windows Update, the Host Only adapters no longer appeared in Network and Sharing Center's Adapter Settings, nor did they appear in VirtualBox Preferences > Network > Host-Only Adapters. Upgrading to 5.0.12 and a full reinstall did not help. As mentioned by other commenters, going to Properties on the Host-Only Adapter in Adapter Settings, checking the box for VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver and clicking OK fixed the problem. Thanks for the help! Sorry I do not have details on the particular old version of VirtualBox or the Windows Update(s) that was/were applied because the machine is not mine.